Hero 10png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero 10png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Ways to Make Money During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Are you a college student in need of cash during quarantine, but have no means of obtaining any? With stores and restaurants closed, it can be difficult to find a traditional job these days. But don’t worry—there are still ways you can use to earn some quick spending money! Here are some methods you might want to try.

Become a self-employed delivery driver.

Becoming a delivery driver is possibly one of the easiest ways to make money. Many food delivery apps including DoorDash and Grubhub offer an online application for anyone who wishes to become a driver, and all that’s required is a quick background check. One of the main benefits of this job is having the flexibility to set your own hours; you can even go a month without delivering if that’s what you wish. Of course, the major downside is having to pay for gas. It is also important to keep in mind that delivery driving can be a pretty dangerous job, so make sure that the money is worth the risk.

Become an in-store shopper for Whole Foods.

This job is kind of similar to being a delivery driver, except you are only delivering for one store. Essentially, you are hired to grocery shop for customers, then deliver the groceries to their doorstep. One major downside of this job is the lack of flexibility; unlike DoorDashing, you are not allowed to set your own hours. On the plus side, the pay rate can start at $15/hour, depending on where you live.

Sell your old possessions on eBay.

Do you have a bunch of random things cluttering up your room that you can’t figure out what to do with? Try selling them on eBay! This way, you can kill two birds with one stone. It’s an easy way to make money that takes almost zero effort. In fact, I was able to make around $50 from selling off old books this year.

If you’re creative, try selling your work on sites like Etsy or Redbubble.

This last method isn’t quite as easy as the first three, but it’s a great way for artists and any other creative-minded people to get their work out there. I personally love using Redbubble to buy posters and laptop stickers with original artwork. If your shop takes off, you could end up raking in a hefty sum!

These are all the ideas that I can personally vouch for, but feel free to do your own research—there are plenty of money-making opportunities out there if you look hard enough!

Jovanne Li

Northeastern '23

Jovanne is a 4th year student studying business and communications at Northeastern University. In her free time, she likes to listen to music and read an unhealthy amount of fanfiction. She also loves boba, thrifting, and trying new restaurants in Boston.