This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Being at school requires a lot of thinking, so it’s nice to wind down after a long day of classes and homework by watching something (I think we can all relate). I have always loved a good documentary, especially ones about fashion. Recently, I’ve rekindled my love for this genre of film. It’s fun, informative, interesting, and they demystify the workings of an industry that, as Miranda Priestly reminds Andy in The Devil Wears Prada, influences us all. Since I’ve reignited my love for this, I’m including my OG favorites and ones that have become available more recently that I’m now obsessed with as well.

On The Streets With Bill Cunningham

Courtesy of Cinema Axis

Bill was truly an inspiration, but most people aren’t familiar with him because he liked to be in the background. This film follows him, the original street fashion photographer, around about when he was turning 86, riding his bike through the streets of Manhattan taking pictures for his column in the New York Times Saturday paper. I love this movie mainly because Bill is so positive, but the film also provides a window into a man whose life us civilians don’t hear about. Everyone in the fashion industry knew and recognized Bill’s blue jacket, as should we.

The September Issue

Courtesy of Amazon

If you don’t usually read Vogue, but you’re mildly interested in the content, the one issue of the year you need to pick up is the September issue. It’s close to 1000 pages of meticulously curated fashion. The September Issue documents the creation of this annual special edition, months out from the publication date. You get to see different parts of the whole process, which I found really interesting. If you liked The Devil Wears Prada, this documentary is the real life version, minus Meryl Streep.

House of Z                                                                                                                 Courtesy of Youtube

Known in the early 2000’s as fashion’s boy wonder, Zac Posen experienced a meteoric rise and fall before settling in as a house name. “House of Z” chronicles Posen’s journey in the fashion industry, ultimately leading up to Posen’s make it or break it collection of 2014. I first learned about Zac Posen by watching “Project Runway,” but never knew his story until I watched this documentary a week ago. It was great. Go watch it.

The First Monday in May                                                                                                                Courtesy of Isaac Mizrahi

The Metropolitan Museum only closes four days a year: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, and the first Monday in May. Why the first Monday in May? Because that day is reserved for the Costume Institute’s Met Gala. Remember when Rihanna walked the red carpet like a queen wearing the biggest embroidered cape imaginable? That was the specific year that this documentary focused on, the “2015 China Through the Looking Glass” exhibition. The film champions curator Andrew Bolton’s exhibition and follows the struggle of creating fashion’s biggest night.

Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards

Courtesy of Youtube

I love this film! The first time I heard the name Manolo Blahnik was from Carrie on Sex and the City. He’s become a legend and he’s still alive. If you need shoes, Manolo is the man for the job. If you watch the movie, which you should, you’ll smile the entire time because Manolo is such a character. I’m honestly having a hard time putting into words just how much I loved The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards. Just watch it, you’ll see.

These five documentaries are the ones I’ve watched and loved so far. The last three I know are currently on Netflix, but the others seem to have disappeared. Next on my list is Dior and I.

Olivia is a writer from the Northeastern University chapter of HerCampus. She is from San Francisco, California and loves her hometown with a passion. When she isn't working she enjoys taking SoulCycle classes, exploring Boston, and spending time with her friends.