emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day Gifts for Everyone You Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Ah, Valentine’s Day, probably one of the most universally hated holidays among our age group. Some of us have cynical views on relationships, while others find the boxed chocolate and teddy bears a little too cheesy. While I’m not going to argue with that, I think we should step back and realize what Valentine’s Day is really about- love and affection. It’s a nice way to think about it when there is so much negativity in today’s world. Whether you’re single or not, this should be a day devoted to appreciating your loved ones, whether that be a significant other, friends, family, or yourself. And for the purposes of this guide, you should show your appreciation by indulging in gifts for said people! A few ideas:

For those who are adventurous:
Buy a Groupon. As a cost-conscious college student who still loves to have fun, Groupon has been a major source of impulsive purchases for me. They offer almost anything you can think of, from restaurants, bowling and karaoke to rafting, sky diving and sailing. Groupon offers deals all over the country, so you can buy one for your friends in Boston or those in other states. My boyfriend lives in California, so I got him a Groupon for a two-person San Diego Harbor tour (at 50% off!) that I’m stoked to use when I go visit. Groupon is an awesome way to explore new places in the city and save a lot of money at the same time.

For the non-traditional:
See a burlesque show. Burlesque is a form of comedy usually performed in cabarets or theatre that parodies a well-known literary, musical, or theatrical work of art. “The Bod of Avon” is described online as “striptease meets Shakespeare,” which should make for an interesting homage to one of the world’s greatest playwrights. It will be put on by The Boston Babydolls every night this week at Naga in Central Square. You can make reservations online, and tickets for the Thursday night show start at only $20. If you’re looking to enjoy PG-13 humor beyond your traditional movie, this would be a great option!

For those short on time:
Online shopping is great for those of us who are too busy to hit up the mall. I’ve found many funny, creative and cute gifts while browsing on amazon.com. Amazon is great because you can sign up for Amazon Student using your university email address and get a free 6-month Prime membership, which includes two-day shipping on many different items. This romantic coupon book is filled with original, humorous ideas to share with your boyfriend or girlfriend. For all the single ladies who want someone to cuddle with, check out this comfy arm-shaped boyfriend pillow! And for those of you who are avid coffee and tea drinkers, these adorable heart-shaped mugs and saucers are a great addition for your kitchen. When you buy a product on amazon, it can be shipped straight to your friends and family. If you pick the “gift” option, your items will arrive in an unmarked box, all prices will be removed on the packing slip, and you can add a nice note/message. Who doesn’t appreciate a surprise package in the mail?

For those who want to pamper:
Plan a spa day for your girls, or even just for yourself. We are all busy people and we deserve to take a break and treat ourselves every once in awhile. Massages feel amazing during times of stress and facial mask treatments are a good way to keep skin fresh and healthy in this freezing weather. They can get pricey, but you can find good deals if you look hard enough, and Groupon as mentioned above is a great resource. In Boston, Beacon Massage on Newbury Street has good reviews and offers chair massages starting at $45 an hour. However, for those who are broke, at-home manicures and homemade facial masks are a fun way to spend time with your friends and save cash.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all!

Sana Mandal

Northeastern

Sana Mandal is a 4th-year pharmacy student at Northeastern University. She enjoys writing for Her Campus as a nice break from all her science classes. Sana likes volunteering, cats, hazelnut coffee, dark chocolate, and exploring Boston with friends.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!