This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

There’s nothing more touching than receiving a gift that really comes from the heart. This Valentine’s Day, skip the expensive presents for that special loved one and go with something homemade. Here are some unique DIY gifts to help you show someone how much you care!

Homemade Healthy Fudge

“A way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” We’ve heard this phrase way too often so this year, get crafty in the kitchen. Passionate Homemaking’s healthy fudge recipe is extremely easy to follow and requires only three ingredients!

You’ll need:

1 cup cocoa powder

1 cup coconut oil

¾ cup honey

Gently melt half of the coconut oil in a small saucepan and let it cool slightly. With the rest of the coconut oil, blend it with the cocoa and honey. Slowly add the melted coconut oil into the mixture until smooth. Tip: make sure not to over blend or else it can separate. Then, line a bread pan with parchment paper or saran wrap and carefully pour the fudge into the pan. Place in your refrigerator until solid; it usually takes about one hour. Gently remove from the pan and cut into 12-15 squares. Store in the refrigerator until serving time!

Tea Bags

A few months ago, I gave these DIY tea bags to a special someone and he loved it! As the polar vortex creeps into Boston, these tea bags will keep your Valentine warm and thinking about you.

You’ll need:

–       Colorful thread and sewing needle

–       Coffee filter

–       Any type of cardstock

–       Loose leaf tea (Tip: consider choosing fair trade, organic tea to make your gift more eco-friendly and to support small businesses!)

–       Scissors

–       Stapler

Cut coffee filters into small tea bag sized rectangles. Using two rectangles, sew the ends of each side except one. Carefully put about 1-2 teaspoons of loose leaf tea through the open side. Feel free to get creative with your tea! Add any spices such as pumpkin, cinnamon, or vanilla to add extra flavor. To seal, fold both edges of the open side, fold over, and staple with a thread. Cut cardstock into colorful hearts, symbols, or messages and glue onto the end of the thread. Voila!

[pagebreak]

$2/Date Jar

This is an awesome gift for couples who are living on a college budget but still want to go on dates around Boston.

You’ll need:

–       A few $1 bills

–       Colorful or patterned paper

–       Ribbon

–       Jar

Take two $1 bills, and roll it up with a piece of paper with a date idea written on it. Each date idea is intended to only cost $2 but will include some sort of fun activity enjoyable for both people.

Here are some ideas:

–       Pick up two Redbox DVDs and have a movie night.

–       Spend the day exploring the Museum of Fine Arts. Northeastern students can go for free so reward yourselves and each keep a dollar.

–       Get active and go for a run around Boston. After your run, fuel up by picking up some fresh fruit to eat on your way home.

–       Find a nearby restaurant that has $1 pizza nights.

–       There are a ton of restaurants that have wing night. Wings are usually around 25¢ each so use up those $2 for a light snack.

–       Visit your local grocery story and get two ice cream sandwiches. When the weather starts getting nice, go for a walk along the Charles River while eating some delicious dessert.

–       Fair Foods has an incredible program called ‘Two Dollar-A-Bag’ where they travel to different Boston neighborhoods throughout the week and give out two dollar bags of fresh fruit and vegetables to anyone who comes. Pick up a bag, bring it back, and whip up a deliciously healthy dinner with some basic ingredients you probably already have.

“Open When” Letters

I love receiving handwritten letters, especially from people that mean the most to me. These “Open when…” letters are a great, inexpensive gift that helps shed a little love when your boyfriend/girlfriend is looking for some words of encouragement.

You’ll need:

–       Envelopes

–       Colorful or patterned paper

–       Colorful markers

Write a different “Open when…” idea on each envelope. Inside each envelope, include a handwritten letter that is relevant to what the “Open when…” is. Decorate with some colorful paper and markers and make it personal by including some photos or inside jokes.

[pagebreak]

Rubik’s Cube

If your special someone loves a brain teaser, give them this creative, thoughtful DIY Rubik’s cube.

You’ll need:

–       Rubik’s cube

–       Six photos

–       Glue

Print out six photos that reflect your relationship with your Valentine for all six sides of the cube. Using your Rubik’s cube as a guide, cut the photos into little squares and paste onto each side. So simple yet so thoughtful!

Kimberly Izar

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!