This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Note: This is spoiler-free (for the most part)! 

If you have been looking for a new movie series to get hooked on, look no further than the “Before” trilogy, a three-part romantic movie series with 9 years of separation between each installment. They are extremely cinematic but also depict some of the most realistic modern relationships on film. 

The series is so unique, partly because of the captivating nature of each individual film, but also because of the way that the time gaps give you a glimpse into the development of both Jessie and Celine. Since each movie depicts these characters in a different decade of their lives, viewers are able to watch them grow up. In “Before Sunrise,” you see Jessie and Celine as bright-eyed and passionate 20-something-year-olds looking for adventure. 

In “Before Sunset,” Jessie and Celine are now in their 30’s and their lives are a little bit more complicated. They are actively trying to figure out their careers and relationships and are more hesitant to partake in the same spontaneity that they did previously. 

Finally, in “Before Midnight,” we see the reality of “full adulthood.” As the pressures of responsibility set in, their relationships become increasingly complicated.

One of the reasons that these movies are some of my favorites is because they show that life and love can be interesting and dynamic. It is not common that romance films depict the less glamorous aspects of relationships, unless it gives some sort of shock value. In the “Before” movies, on the other hand, the problems that come from Jessie and Celine’s relationship are not sugar coated. Instead, they are extremely genuine and relatable. 

These movies are similar to the movie “Marriage Story.” They both show aspects of real life that are not usually depicted in mainstream film. However, what makes the “Before” films different from a movie like “Marriage Story” is that they depict their characters in very isolated moments of time with little interactions beyond each other. In a lot of romantic movies, there is this idea that romantic relationships exist within themselves. While there are definitely interactions with others, the relationship being depicted is the one and only that the audience should care about. The Before Trilogy turns this trope on its head. Even though the majority of the movies are simply dialogue between Jessie and Celine, we still see how they are impacted by other people in their lives. 

If you’re into romantic movies, but are tired of seeing the same tropes and plotlines again and again, I highly recommend this series. The films are extremely eye-opening, depicting how relationships are timeless with their dialogue, characters and settings. Each film is different in style, storyline, and character development, but they still manage to be perfectly intertwined with each other. Ultimately, these movies present a look into the complexity and realism of romance that is often lacking in Hollywood.