Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

The Top 5 Performances From the GRAMMYs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

First things first, let’s get the obvious out of the way: the GRAMMYs are a historically racist award show that continues to use POC artists’ names for clout and “diversity points” while snubbing them of major awards. They are out of touch with what’s currently popular in music and claim to award “quality” when it’s really about who is white and has inside connections. Their nickname, the “Scammys,” is entirely accurate.

That being said, the GRAMMYs stage is still known to deliver some of the most iconic performances. While the awards themselves may be biased and corrupt, true talent and artistry will always shine through in a stellar performance. So let’s dive into some of my personal favorite show stopping moments of the night!  

Silk Sonic – “Leave The Door Open” (+ Little Richard tribute)

Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak officially debuted their first performance as the band Silk Sonic at the GRAMMYs, and they absolutely stole the show. Their soulful rendition of their first single “Leave The Door Open” made me feel like I was being transported to an old-timey jazz cafe. The highlight of the performance was definitely the last 30 seconds, in which Mars and Paak blessed our ears with their heavenly harmonies. The duo returned later on in the show to pay tribute to Little Richard with covers of the songs “Good Golly Miss Molly” and “Long Tall Sally,” which they also nailed.

Taylor Swift – “cardigan/august/willow”

Taylor Swift’s performance of songs from her chart-topping albums folklore and evermore was simply ethereal. She began with “cardigan” while lying on top of a moss-covered cottage in the woods, resembling a fairytale woodland spirit. She then transitioned to a gorgeous stripped-back version of “august,” where she was joined by Jack Antonoff and Aaron Dessner. Finally, Taylor closed it all off with “willow,” ending the performance on a magical note.

Megan Thee Stallion – “Body/Savage” (+ “WAP” with Cardi B)

What truly makes Megan Thee Stallion shine is her confidence. For the GRAMMYs stage, the Houston rapper brought a 1920s set complete with tap dancers, creating a powerful performance of her hits “Body” and “Savage.” She later teamed up with Cardi B for the first-ever live performance of their smash hit “WAP,” treating us to knee-breaking choreography atop a giant mattress. Needless to say, Megan was a star of the show.

Doja Cat – “Say So”

Regardless of whether you’re a fan of Doja Cat, you cannot deny that she is a performer. The Pop/R&B singer and rapper took the stage to perform her viral hit “Say So,” pairing the song with a futuristic theme and LED lights. Despite having performed this song multiple times over the past year, Doja has always gone out of her way to make each performance unique — this time was no different. 

BTS – “Dynamite”

If there’s one thing BTS has mastered, it’s delivering a performance worth watching. The South Korean super group lit up the GRAMMYs stage from halfway across the world in stunning three-piece suits to perform their hit single, Dynamite. Not only did they have the sharp choreography to match, they also recreated the GRAMMYs set to make it appear as if they were at the show in person. It was definitely worth the three hour wait!

Jovanne Li

Northeastern '23

Jovanne is a 4th year student studying business and communications at Northeastern University. In her free time, she likes to listen to music and read an unhealthy amount of fanfiction. She also loves boba, thrifting, and trying new restaurants in Boston.