Tina Fey: The Woman Who Made Fetch Happen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I share several things in common with the incomparably witty and beautiful Tina Fey. The only person that calls my house is Randy from Chase Visa, on dates I would prefer that the other person buy me Mozzarella sticks instead of a drink, and we both like dressing up like Sarah Palin and pointing out Russia from our house. Okay, so that last one may not be entirely true, but I would give anything to possess even just a shred of humor or heart that Tina Fey has.

Over the span of her career, Tina Fey has done just about everything. She was the first female head writer in SNL history, she made us laugh and cry with her critically acclaimed television show, “30 Rock”, and she made fetch happen when she wrote and starred in the cinematic triumph that is Mean Girls.

And this past January, along with her longtime friend, Amy Poehler, Tina hosted the “Golden Globes”. It was the first time in a long time that the awards were actually humorous and with her array of quips and costume changes, Tina and Amy stole the hearts of the audience. She also warned Taylor Swift to stay away from Michael J. Fox’s son because she knew that T-Swift was trouble when she walked in.

With her Sarah Palin impression and hilariously biting Weekend Update sketch on “Saturday Night Live”, Tina showed us that anyone with a quick wit and open mind can be successful in an industry dominated by outrageous beauty standards. With Mean Girls, it was like Tina Fey ripped out a page of our diary and put in on film making it one of the few movies that actually understands teen culture.  And I cannot tell you how many nights I have spent watching clips of “30 Rock” on YouTube of her saying “Blerg”  or flipping over a table demanding to know where her Mac and Cheese is. Although the show has only been off the air for a few months, I am still dealing with withdrawal. I also have an upcoming jury duty appointment and I hope that if I too pose as a Princess Leia hologram that I will be able to get out of my duty so that I can go home and shotgun a pizza.

Tina Fey once said in an interview, “You can tell how smart people are by what they laugh at.” As an actress and a writer, Tina Fey strives to make her work the greatest it can possibly be. She is aware that her audience is intelligent and despite an industry dominated by big budget effects and CGI, deep down all people want are characters they can relate with and a story that can make them laugh.  With her upcoming film Admission, which will be released on March 22nd, I am certain that Tina Fey will deliver once again and give us a movie that will make us laugh until we pee ourselves a little bit.  And if that isn’t incentive enough to go, the movie also has Paul Rudd, who is quite possibly the most beautiful man on the planet and who has a sense of humor sure to complement the goddess herself.

Photo cred 2

Connor Doherty

Northeastern

I am currently a junior at Northeastern University pursuing a degree in Communications and Political Science. In my spare time I enjoy counting calories, fantasizing about being friends with Jennifer Lawrence and binge watching Lifetime movies.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!