Style > Fashion

Thoughts on Urban Outfitter’s Balletcore From a Ballet Dancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

When thinking of ballet, images of pink tulle, tiaras and smiles probably come to mind, but ballet only looks like that on stage. Most of the time, ballet dancers are gritting through the pain of blisters pulsating in their pointe shoes and trying to avoid sweat dripping into their eyes. They spend most of their time in rehearsals pushing themselves to the limit, so the clothes they wear while dancing are not extremely frilly and poofy like everyone may first imagine.

Actual ballet wear is associated more with layers and neutral colors. Dancers love to put on as many layers as possible to hide their bodies behind the layers and keep their muscles warm. Some classic staples are trash bag pants or shorts (which are similar to sweatpants), leg warmers, long-sleeve shirts, vests and sweatshirts. All of these pieces are layered one on top of the other. As a ballet class progresses, the layers are shed and skirts are put on to show off more of the body.

So when I think of ballet core, I think of a more hobo chic look than something pink and poofy. Urban Outfitters, however, took a different approach with some of their new ballet-inspired pieces. Since I have been a ballet dancer for the past 16 years, I decided to review how practical five of the pieces would be if dancers actually wore them.

1. Jeffrey Campbell Choreo Buckled Ballet Flat

n1a34sY8mHlmpcX55PH st3610qD3nSZgFqP2IlvV2jUTBqoT2Gaa Pz8rjKermXX1InhpgycnGflKNeIAcrtJwk2OVqvsTLZ3I7CLbABV X67l5aayevG otw94QoaUTY JdeSCadGWIH5AvDnDGAI

I have so many questions about these shoes. Why this color scheme? Why are there so many buckles on the strap? I understand they are intended to mimic pointe shoes or ballet flats, but the black straps ruin the effect. Any type of shoe in ballet is supposed to blend in seamlessly with the line of your leg, and the straps (especially since they are black with silver buckles) cut through that line. While I can see these being a part of some type of dancer costume, they are impractical to dance in. 

Dance Wearability: 3/10

Cuteness Rating: 1/10

2. UO Open-Front Sock

These would have zero function in ballet. I cannot understand why someone would want their ankles exposed like this. For one thing, if you wear socks that go above the ankle, then the ankles should not be out in the open. From a dancing standpoint, the exposed ankles create a risk for floor burns and no dancer wants those. Another problem with these socks is that the laces are too long. Dance is very active and the chances of stepping and proceeding to trip on them are too high. 

Dance Wearability: 0/10

Cuteness Rating: 1/10

3. Out From Under At First Sight Corset

38HWE c9 LuTktl4DeqrloSmO6TIQDGzPsU7RKw4mVi4dOP2C7B p6ekSfZr7d5ofs2zhUkjAVb 174K4VbNQqYEdpunb4GImuWzxOXy8M3XtW zda1n2lpv7swE6b0rCyZhmfglIvO2J6WbFZiyA

I absolutely love this corset top. The soft, blush color and the simple design bring a classiness to any look you could create with it. However, in regard to wearing this while dancing, I do not think that it would work well. The biggest issue is that there are no straps to hold the corset on the body. While you are dancing, the focus should be on the movement, not whether the clothes are securely on. So unless they add straps onto the corset, I will be saving this for a fun night out. 

Dance Wearability: 3/10

Cuteness Rating: 12/10

4. Out From Under Rae Jogger Sweatpant

gFrVIIg3t7fjTrhYp9iAaRCIrW62OeLB 4fC3hKPkwUt9DYVut13gxZIdrgjyZkfF 85ShexE54TZRx RlsYXNOWtP2VOJx9MMnLqJJk7GAUruxGFCb mdsh3cvI3uuM DPEsXZroC C sW2zqm8dw

Not everyone is into wearing sweatpants for a warm-up, but since I am, this fits my definition of ballet core. The slouchiness that they have is perfect for hiding those bent knees that should not be there, and the comfort factor that they bring is perfect, especially if it is the morning and the ballet studio is cold. I also love that these have that pop of pink, so it brings a little more fun into the ballet class. 

Dance Wearability: 8/10

Cuteness Rating: 10/10

5. Out From Under Koa Open-Front Hoodie Sweatshirt

iZWGEsSiFD3S3Jz5kxp1GOcPUK2fWuGSFYkCV5oOIoR9po1PhbWONQHVJZZkTI3TjGI6KsoHCZeoYOuYVHqkV6DiF yAzn2BYNV D3FLYH3re3ffYmKKz7ifn X4Tr6QD768rJGNz 0fuE6ibGHoY8

There is nothing inherently wrong with this sweatshirt. It’s cute and looks extremely comfortable, but I do not think that it would work very well for ballet. There are just too many loose parts that would get in the way while dancing. I feel that a zipper would contain the floppiness of all the parts but that would also ruin the overall effect of the look. 

Dance Wearability: 5/10

Cuteness Rating: 8/10

Ana Antic

Northeastern '26

Ana Antic is a first-year writer at Northeastern University from Nashville, Tennessee. She is pursuing a degree in Biochemistry and loves to write in her free time.