Career

The Power of Affirmation — 7 Mantras for Personal Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

How you talk to yourself matters. A negative mindset only inhibits you from reaching your goals, whatever they may be. 

One tool that has improved my confidence and mental wellbeing immensely is affirmation. It began with encouraging myself throughout the day such as saying “I can do this” before tackling a big presentation, but it has become a consistent habit for me.

Here are some of my favorite personal affirmations and how I utilize them for success and a positive mindset!

1. I am working towards my best self everyday.

All actions you take to better yourself are valuable.. It can be as simple as making your bed or taking deep breaths to calm yourself down. You are doing your best!!

1. What’s meant for me will not pass me by.

Trust that you will become who you are meant to be. You will meet the people you are meant to meet. You will find the career that is best for you. If it’s meant to be, it’ll be. There’s no need to worry now about things that you cannot control.

1. I don’t need to explain myself to others.

This life is yours and no one else’s!. You don’t need an excuse for saying “no” or putting yourself first. Don’t give others the power to dictate your life. 

1. It will all work out.

You may not know how your problems will resolve, but they will. Take it from Bob Marley: “Every little thing [is] gonna be alright.”

1. I accept myself.

You are strong. You are resilient. You have persevered through difficult times. Accept yourself for all that you are, and be your best friend. You deserve it.

1. I deserve good things.

We all have those thoughts that creep into our heads that say we are not worthy, or valuable, or good enough. The truth is that every human being is valuable. You deserve to be surrounded by good people and have a good life. Don’t convince yourself otherwise.

1. I am not perfect, and that’s okay.

You are not meant to be perfect or have everything figured out. Do not beat yourself up about your mistakes; rather, focus on how you can be better the next time. 

HOW can I affirm myself?

Now that we’ve gone through some daily mantras, how exactly do you incorporate these into your life?

What helped me the most was surrounding myself with positive messages. For instance, I love to write affirmations on my mirror with a whiteboard marker to look at when getting ready for the day. I also create uplifting sticky notes to keep at my desk and download phone backgrounds with inspirational phrases. If you are a visual person, try creating an affirmation wall or affirmation mirror!

The more you affirm yourself, the more you believe in your abilities and are motivated to work towards your goals.

Another way to incorporate affirmations into your daily life is by listening to uplifting music. For example, even the song “I Am” by Yung Baby Tate and Flo Milli is a good reminder  “I am healthy, I am wealthy, I am rich, I am that b***h…”

If you are on your phone a lot throughout the day, the app “I Am” is one of my personal favorites for reminders; it sends affirmations as notifications.

Happy affirming!

Tara O'Connor

Northeastern '25

Tara O'Connor is a third-year Business Administration major with a concentration in Marketing and a minor in Political Science at Northeastern University. She is the current secretary of Her Campus and has been in Her Campus for two years. She is from Norwalk, Connecticut. In her free time, Tara loves to go to the beach, explore new places, and go thrift shopping.