Wellness

Switching to Menstrual Cups: The Good and the Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I started using a cup late last year, and my period stopped controlling a quarter of my life. Here are some reasons a menstrual cup may (or may not) do the same for you:

1. It’s cost effective

For example, The Honey Pot cup costs $20, about as much as four boxes of pads. Four boxes lasts around six months. Cups can last for years.

2. It’s environmentally friendly

Cut down your waste with this reusable option.

3. You only have to change it every 12 hours

Busy day? No problem. Most menstrual cups only need to be changed once when you wake up and once before you go to bed.

4. It’s completely internal

No strings attached, literally! Cups are perfect for sports, bathing suits and everyday activities.

5. It feels like nothing

If you put it in right, you will seriously forget it’s even there. 

But,

1. Again, it’s completely internal

If you’re not comfortable with reaching up in there, it’s going to be a problem.

2. Again, it feels like nothing

Forgetting it’s there can mean forgetting to change it. Do NOT leave it in for more than 12 hours!

3. It needs to be boiled monthly

Depending on where you live, this might be difficult. I use my electric kettle and wash it around 20 times before I use it for tea again.

4. It’s difficult to handle in communal bathrooms

It has to be rinsed every time you take it out. You might not want to do that with someone less than two feet away.

5. It takes a while to get used to

Cups can be daunting! If you’re not willing to take the time to get comfortable, it might not be for you.

At the end of the day, finding what’s best for your life is what’s most important.

Amalya Labell

Northeastern '25

Amalya is a Psychology major with a double minor in Business and Mindfulness at Northeastern University with a passion for aesthetics, lifestyle, and humor.