Career

Sustainable Black-Owned Fashion Brands to Support This Black History Month (and Forever)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In an effort to fight for racial justice and against racial wealth gaps, teenagers and young adults have popularized Black-owned businesses during the annual Black History Month. Usually lasting a short 28-day period, these Black-owned businesses are seemingly no longer “trendy” right around March 1st. Shared posts on Instagram stories celebrating Black entrepreneurs die down, only to be circulated again in another 11 months. 

Shopping from Black-owned businesses should be a lifestyle, not a trend. By putting money in the hands of small business owners, we are supporting the local economy instead of large corporations that make $1 per ad click. Not to mention, small business owners often add a flare of personality and character into each piece they craft, which is difficult to find in large fashion companies. Without access to mass production, small businesses typically handcraft their items and are more conscious of their ecological footprint.

Each purchase makes a difference, so here is a roundup of the best Black-owned fashion brands that value community, inclusivity and sustainability. 

A A K S

Founded by Ghanaian native Akosua Afriyie-Kumie, A A K S creates handcrafted bags that each tell a different story. A A K S aims to introduce the world the unique weaving techniques done by the women of Ghana.

House of Aama

Mother-daughter duo Rebecca Henry and Akua Shabaka tell the stories of the Black experience through House of Aama’s timeless garments. The lifestyle brand is culturally inspired by the African continent and diaspora. 

Label By Three 

Label By Three was started by three sisters. Using vegan-friendly fabrics and biodegradable packaging, this brand values sustainability as well as inclusivity.

Aliya Wanek

Aliya Wanek works with a production sewer in the Bay Area to produce and hand-dye each piece of garment. The womenswear label focuses on exploring individuality with each clothing item.

Nia Thomas

Nia Thomas is an ethically-made fashion brand that stands for love in the highest form. Each clothing piece by Thomas is made with recycled fabric, crafted by hand, and colored with plant-based dyes. With every product purchased, the brand plants one tree.

Arlokea

Arlokea recognizes our ethical and social responsibility in society. Through ethical jewelry and fashion, Arloka aims to empower eco-conscious people and tackle social issues. 

Devi Arts Collective Jewelry

Formed on the importance of people, community and connection, Devi Arts Collective is a women-led jewelry brand that strives to unite strong women across the globe. Built by hand, every piece of Devi Arts jewelry is made from recycled sterling silver, gold and ethically cut gems. 

Tree Fairfax

Tree Fairfax creates each piece with love and care by hand. This brand hand cuts and stitches each piece using locally sourced, high-quality leather. 

Autumn Adeigbo

Voted “Best Dressed” in the 4th grade, Autumn Adeigbo is devoted to designing colorful and conversational clothing for women. Adeigbo’s brand embraces sustainable practices by minimizing fabric wastes and excessive manufacturing.

KINTU New York

Designed in New York and made in Italy, KINTU New York values generational conservation of artistry and craftsmanship. The high-quality, minimalist bags are crafted from strong and hard-wearing 100% natural vegetable tanned leather.

Cathy Ching

Northeastern '24

Cathy Ching is a second-year student at Northeastern University. She is a journalism major with minors in communication studies and environmental studies.