This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you didn’t know by now, the Super Bowl is coming up. The teams playing at this year’s Super Bowl are the Philadelphia Eagles and the New England Patriots. As someone from Philadelphia, I feel the need to watch the Super Bowl this year. Yet, I have never been a big fan of football. It was always kind of boring to me and full of very aggressive and rude fans.

Courtesy of Tom the Fanboy

If you need proof, watch these Eagles fans heckle a group of Minnesota fans this past weekend.

If you need even more proof, watch when Eagles fans threw beer cans at a group of Minnesota fans.

After trying to avoid this sport and fan base as much as possible for most of my life, I decided to do a little research before the Super Bowl so I wouldn’t be going in blind.

1. Know the basics

Courtesy of Tenor

A quick summary of football is that there are four quarters and each quarter is fifteen minutes long (but they usually end up being longer than that). There are eleven players on the field for each team. One team is the defense and is trying to stop the offensive team and get possession of the ball. The other team is the offense and is trying to get the ball down the field and across the goal line. They do this by moving down the yard lines, which are indicated by white lines every ten yards. A touchdown is when a member of offensive team gets the ball past the goal line.

To learn more, check out the NFl’s Rule Book

2. Learn about some of the players

Courtesy of That’s Normal

You don’t need to know the stats of each and every player, but knowing a little bit about a few players can make the game more interesting (besides the quarterback – everyone knows about the quarterback). But the Super Bowl is more than just sports. The Super Bowl is an event. It includes many different aspects.

3. Super Bowl food

Courtesy of Genius

Super Bowl food is known for being the best. It includes a large array of appetizers such as:

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Courtesy of Lilluna

Pigs in a Blanket

Courtesy of Spraggs Meat Shop

You can just buy these from the supermarket from any brand, though I recommend Nathan’s and Hebrew National.

Pizza Bagels

Courtesy of The Odyssey Online

I recommend Bagel Bites.

Wings

Courtesy of The Odyssey Online

I would recommend buying these from a local wing restaurant.

Spinach Dip in Bread Bowl

Courtesy of Betty Crocker

Buy this or make it, but I recommend putting any dip in a bread bowl!

4. Buy a shirt

Courtesy of The Odyssey Online

Or at least wear the color of the team your supporting. Do not show up in all neutral colors. (Plus, it’s an excuse to go shopping!)

5. Commercials

Courtesy of Ad Week

Courtesy of Giphy

Super Bowl commercials are famous for being the best commercials, ranging from funny to heart-wrenching.

6. The Halftime Show

Courtesy of Giphy

This year, the halftime performer is Justin Timberlake, but no matter what, every year the halftime show is insane.

7. Have fun!

Courtesy of Secrant

No matter what sports team you’re rooting for, the Super Bowl connects everyone together for a fun time.