This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Popular for its good weather, scenic areas and variety of cultures, San Francisco is a popular spring break destination vacation amongst college students. However, it can be overwhelming since there are so many things to do in the city! Here are some of my top recommendations, coming from an SF native:

1. Alcatraz Island

Courtesy of Al Catraz Cruises

Off the shore of the San Francisco bay, the island is home to an abandoned prison, military forts and the oldest operating lighthouse on the West Coast. Although it’s a more “touristy” attraction, the cruise ride to and from the island and the audio tour that comes along with the prison make the attraction a must-see.

2. The Japantown/Fillmore area

Courtesy of SfrecPark

Courtesy of San Francisco Days

The Japantown and Fillmore areas go hand-in-hand as they are right next to each other and offer similar attractions. Both districts have various shops from different cultures, allowing passerby to experience new things. These are also ideal areas to go for food, since there are many restaurants surrounding both locations.

3. Golden Gate Park (including the Japanese Tea Garden and Conservatory of Flowers)

Courtesy of Net DNA DSL

Golden Gate Park is San Francisco’s largest urban park, and offers many other small attractions within it, including the Conservatory of Flowers and the Japanese Tea Garden just to name a few! The entire park is very scenic in itself, but be sure to wear something warm, as it is usually covered in a thick blanket of fog!

4. Sutro Baths

Courtesy of Back Pack Verse

Sutro Baths used to be a public saltwater swimming complex, but burned down in the ’60s and is now a ruin. Although you are not allowed to swim in the large swimming pool now, it features amazing views of the Pacific Ocean, the Seacliff district, and is very closeby to the Lands’ End labyrinth!

5. The Golden Gate Bridge

Courtesy of WikiMedia

You can’t visit San Francisco without seeing the classic landmark, the Golden Gate Bridge. I personally recommend walking on it (if you have the time), as you can get one of the best views of the Northern California peninsula. Plus, it will save you a Lyft to the “East Bay”, or the neighborhoods on the east of the peninsula. If not, viewing the bridge and taking scenic pictures are best at Fort Point, Battery End, or the Marin Headlands.