This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Each year at the beginning of February, a groundhog makes his appearance and we learn if there’s just six more weeks until spring, or if we have to wait it out for even longer. In Boston, the appearance of the groundhog’s shadow doesn’t matter much: we know it’s going to be a long, long time until the snow and ice disappear. But just because you’re living on a college budget and Northeastern’s spring break is absurdly early, doesn’t mean you have to spend your week off shivering in your dorm room. Here are seven spring break ideas and deals for students in classes, or weekend trips for those on co-op.

A Luxury Weekend Trip to New York for You and Your Boyfriend/Best friend: New York is the perfect weekend trip – it’s far enough away, but you can still go there for around five bucks. This hotel deal was built for romance, but if you’re single you can always go with your friends and enjoy the shopping and Broadway!

Skiing With All of Your Friends in Colorado: Although it’s not much of a break from the cold, you can still escape the East Coast with this trip to Colorado. Even if you don’t ski, you can spend your time at the Lodge, enjoying hot cocoa and some trashy magazines.

Try Not to Recreate The Hangover: With this trip to Las Vegas, you and your friends can enjoy the pool all day and go out gambling each night. Although you probably won’t be able to do the cliched bridesmaids-in-Vegas thing, this would be a great trip to celebrate a 21st birthday.

Classic Spring Break Trip to Cancun: College is probably the only time in your life it’s acceptable to go to Cancun and act like you’re on the Real World, so gather up your bikini and sunblock, and head for this favorite spring break spot.

Always Wanted to Learn to Surf? Now’s Your Chance!: If you want to spend your spring break being active and learning something new while still having a great time in the tropics, this is the spring break trip for you!

Hostel-Hop in Montreal: Hostels are a great way to save money while traveling, but if you still can’t afford do go to Europe, try Montreal instead! You’ll still get to practice your French, but it’s only a 6 hour drive away.

You Know You’ve Always Secretly Wanted to Go on a Duck Tour:
Ev
en if you can’t leave Boston at all over break, you can still have fun with your friends, doing all of the cheesy, tourist-y things you’ve seen everywhere but never gotten a chance to do. Why not spend a day learning more about Boston history on a trolley tour or go on a riverboat cruise?

Can’t get a day off work? You can still treat yourself with these deals!

An Hour-Long Study Break: Because who couldn’t use a massage after weeks of studying?

Treat Yourself to Some Culture on Campus: Northeastern is located near some great music venues, so turn off your iPod and appreciate some live classical music.

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.