Shed Your Stress!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Feeling stressed? Between midterms and job interviews, saying you’re swamped is probably an understatement.

Chances are, you’ve probably heard some of the media buzz about stress relief treatments. There are pricey yoga retreats aimed at finding your inner spirit, and medical spas devoted to healing the mind and body. Many of these methods really do work, but their high success rates come at an equally high price. The truth is, not all of us can dole out the cash to cover such fancy treatments. As college students, we need to find inexpensive ways to alleviate stress from work and school.

Lucky for you, HC has summed up the best ways to get rid of that unwanted stress that builds up during your busy week.  The best part? Most of them are free and located on campus!

NU’s Student Health Center

Northeastern’s very own health center provides student-counseling services during their regular hours. Although some people feel embarrassed when talking to psychologists, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help. You should be proud of yourself for taking the plunge. Sometimes, a genuine chatting session with a pro is what it’s all about. If you’re curious about counseling, make an appointment with UHCS. There’s no long – term commitment involved, so you can try one session, then decide if you want to continue. It’s ok to be nervous when opening up to someone new; the important thing is that you’re giving it a try.

The Marino Center

Filled with elliptical and stationary bikes, the Marino Center is much more than just a place to lift weights. As the fitness hub of NU, Marino offers a variety of classes ranging from basic group cardio to heart pumping Zumba sessions. Exercise is one of the best ways to relieve stress. It also releases endorphins, which provide a powerful mood boost. When you work out with your friends, the added social aspect can also help. The registration process for most spring classes has closed, but consider signing up in advance if you’ll be around for summer one. If you’d rather save a little money, pop in some headphones and crank up your own tunes. A solo sweat session is just as beneficial.

The Sacred Space

Located on the second floor of Ell Hall, the Sacred Space provides a sense of calm for the Northeastern community. The meditation room is humbly tucked away, offering the chance to take a break in the midst of a hectic day. The university provides free meditation classes, available Monday through Friday at various times. The Sacred Space is located on the 2nd floor of Ell Hall and participants may attend ANY week or EVERY week.

Schedule:

“Monday Evening”   6 – 6:30pm
(note- there are no guided sessions on Monday holidays)
Guided by Morgan Collado

“Tuesday Lunchtime”   12- 12:30pm
Guided by Carmen Thurston 

“Tuesday Evening”   6:15- 6:45pm
Guided by Carmen Thurston

“Wednesday Well-Being”   3- 3:30pm
Guided by Shelli Jankowski-Smith

“Thursday Lunchtime”   12- 12:30pm
Guided by Jason Jedrusiak 

“Funny Friday” Laughter Meditation   12- 12:30pm
Guided by Jason Jedrusiak

Beyond NU: Revitalize Yourself with a Spa Day

Treat yourself to a relaxing massage at a luxurious Boston spa. (HC likes Moore Massage on Newbury Street – they’ve got great deals for college students!) Every now and then, a little splurge is a smart thing. Save up and do something nice for yourself on a regular basis. When things get tough, remind yourself that you will be rewarded at the end of the month. This will give you something to look forward to when you’re bogged down with work and studying. A massage will relax your tense muscles while revamping your energy.

Quick DIY Tips

Grab your camera and get inspired! Go out for a quick walk and snap some pictures. Don’t worry about getting the perfect shot; just focus on whatever stands out to you. The benefits of this are really twofold. Taking photos will clear your head, and the fresh, cold air will wake you up. Give this a try and you might even discover a cool new hobby!

Meet up at Starbucks or Panera and get coffee with a friend.  Even if it’s just for an hour or two, talking will take your mind off of what’s bringing you down.  It’s understandable to feel alone when you’re in a stressed out state, but your pal is probably feeling the same way. Bottom line: relating to each other will make you both feel better.

Create a playlist with 5-10 of your favorite songs.
Whenever you’re feeling overwhelmed, call upon your iPod to ease those nerves. To make this even more effective, get up and do some stretches while you tune into the music. Taking a mental break will leave you rejuvenated, ready to power through whatever comes next.

Dani Wong is a sophomore at the University of San Francisco, where she is double majoring in media studies and journalism. After her short story was published in a recent book, she decided to explore a new facet of writing and became involved with student newspapers and magazines. Between interning, taking classes, and exploring San Francisco, Dani is embracing the new opportunities that city life brings. Her true loves include traveling, taking photographs, playing sports and anything food related!
Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!