Service Spotlight: Take Action at NU & Around Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

So you’re enrolled in a service-learning class, or you need to fill out your CEP requirements. Maybe, you just want to prove you’re a good person. And while you love the idea of saving the world, you just don’t know where to begin. After all, if you’re going to devote an entire semester – or even a year – of your time to a project, you want it to be both intellectually stimulating and intrinsically rewarding.
   The solution? Her Campus enlisted the help of these organizations and their representatives to bring you this comprehensive guide to good will. (Already have a service placement? Bookmark this page and take a look at it next semester!)

Community Servings
    Pursue if: You’re interested in learning culinary basics; you want to help the chronically or critically ill; you need a flexible commitment.

Mission: Community Servings aims to provide chronically or critically ill individuals, their caregivers, and their families with healthy meals and nutritional education. This effort is meant to preserve dignity, integrity, and cultural traditions, all while sending a supportive message: the community cares.

What to expect: Most student volunteers perform basic kitchen tasks such as cutting ingredients, packaging finished meals, or working in an assembly line. If you want to commit to a longer shift, you may aid in the delivery of the food.

Time commitment: It’s up to you! Community Servings is up and running from 6 am-8 pm, and you can work with the organization to create your own schedule. You can even participate in one-time projects or choose to work on biweekly, monthly, or quarterly schedules. Alternative Spring Break options are available as well.

How to become one: Orientations run on a weekly basis (every Wednesday night at 6). If there are scheduling conflicts, alternative training can be arranged.

Learn more here. Contact: For student groups: Adam Seigal, Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, aseigal@servings.org or (617) 522-7777 ext. 228. For individuals: Malissa   Harmon, Volunteer Management Coordinator, mharmon@servings.org or (617) 522-7777 ext. 227

Generation Citizen (Semesterly)
   Pursue if: You’re interested in teaching, advocacy, and/or politics; you prefer to work with adolescents

Mission: Generation Citizen (GC) seeks to empower young citizens by teaching them how to use the democratic system to their advantage: students not only learn about effecting social change, but they also act upon a community issue of their choice. (Huskies: think of GC as the co-op of civic learning.)

What to expect: With the support of their classroom teacher, the democracy coach or DC (that’s you!) will guide middle or high school students through the process of advocacy and change. Depending on the preferences indicated on your application, you may also be sharing or alternating lessons with a co-democracy coach (co-DC).

Time commitment: 5-7 hours per week. GC programs are 10 weeks long and run once per semester. Your success as a DC will be determined by how much time you devote to planning. Expect to spend about 2 hours in the classroom each week, 1- 2 hours at chapter meetings, and additional time preparing your own lessons (with your co-DC, if applicable). GC tries to place its volunteers in schools close to their residences, but transportation is up to you.

How to become one: Interested parties fill out a relatively short application. Upon selection, democracy coaches (DCs) attend a weekend of mandatory training, where they learn how to utilize the GC curriculum.

Learn more here. Contact: mmills@generationcitizen.org

“The cool thing about GC that sets us apart is that we create sustainable solutions in our community that end up being empowering for everyone involved.” -Meghan Gannon, GCNU Education Director

Jumpstart (Yearly)
Pursue if: You’re interested in teaching (especially language/literacy) and/or human services; you prefer to work with younger kids.

Mission: Jumpstart partners volunteers with preschoolers from low-income backgrounds to help these children develop important language and social skills. Corps members help others to develop the tools they need to be successful in the classroom, the workplace, and nearly every other aspect of life.

What to expect: Your time will be divided between working with the class as a whole and with certain children. The AmeriCorps-built curriculum is split into multiple units, with each one revolving around a certain book. Not only will you guide the children through the reading itself, but you will also be responsible for leading related activities.

Time commitment: 12-15 hours per week. You will engage in classroom assistance time (CAT) once or twice in a typical week. In addition, expect 1-2 reading sessions with specific kids. Group meetings occur weekly (perhaps more frequently during training), and you will attend a reflection session each month. From time to time, there may be an additional function that you are asked to attend. Again, you are responsible for getting yourself to the school and back, but volunteers will often travel together.

How to become one: At the beginning of the academic year, potential volunteers submit an application. Corps members then undergo a month of training, during which they learn how to implement the curriculum.

Learn more here.

Little Brothers – Friends of the Elderly
  Pursue if: You’re interested in human services and/or counseling; you prefer working with an elderly population; you need a flexible commitment

Mission: Little Brothers strives to relieve loneliness among the elderly by pairing individuals with supportive volunteers. Volunteers engage in conversation, hold events, and deliver food to help the elderly feel connected to their communities.

What to expect: Little Brothers offers several types of positions for people with different interests. Some are more PR-oriented or administrative in nature (event planning, recruitment, etc.), but there are also many opportunities to work directly with the elderly population. As a conversation partner, you will be conducting both phone calls and face-to-face visits.

Time commitment: The various service positions require different levels of commitment, so you should be able to find one that fits your availability.

How to become one: Volunteers fill out an application online and attend a day-long orientation session.

Learn more here

[pagebreak]

Peace through Play (NU, Semesterly)
  Pursue if: You’re interested in teaching, human services, and/or developmental psychology; you prefer to work with elementary-age children

Mission: Peace through Play (PtP) utilizes educational games to teach children important skills such as leadership, self-awareness, and healthy interpersonal interaction. With this model, the organization strives to reduce youth violence.

What to expect: As an activity assistant, you will be having fun with kids grades K-8! You will be working with a team of 3-4 other volunteers. Prepare to talk about what can be learned from each game, and to emphasize a safe and nonjudgmental setting. In addition to playing games, you will be asked to help with homework.

Time commitment: 9-12 hours per week. Roughly 3-3.5 hours will be spent working directly with the kids. As usual, you must arrange and pay for your own transportation, but volunteers will often travel together. Weekly team meetings (1 hour each) are mandatory, but expect to spend additional time reviewing your own plans. As always, the more effort you put into outlining your sessions, the better the experience for both you and the younger students!

How to become one: At the beginning of each semester, interested students can submit applications. During a mandatory one-day training session, you will learn how to run the PtP educational games and frame them in a meaningful way.

Learn more here

Want to see what else is out there? A more complete listing of community service opportunities – both at Northeastern and in the greater Boston area – can be found here. Happy serving, Collegiettes!

Special thanks to Professor Rebecca Berkey, the GCNU E-Board (especially Meghan Gannon), Chloe O’Malley, and Udani Sandanayaka.

Ashley P

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!