This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In case you missed them (and I really hope you didn’t), the 2018 midterm elections were last Tuesday, Nov. 6.

It took a few days for me to fully formulate my thoughts and figure out how to write this piece. I could have written a negative, emotionally-charged article about how we didn’t do enough and how our country is living in the past. However, in light of all the bad news going on in the world, I have decided to write a more optimistic and more general recap of the midterm elections and what this means for the future of our country.

The Democrats officially gained a majority in the House of Representatives, winning at least 32 new seats, and potentially winning a few more, once some closer elections are called. It is predicted that at the final count, Democrats will hold 229 seats and Republicans 209. This is a significant and positive change, because it means that the Democrats will have more of a say in how the government runs.

This election definitely had some high points, especially for women. For the first time in U.S. history, there are more than 100 women in the House of Representatives. This brings the percentage of women in the house up to 23 percent. You may be thinking to yourself, “only 23 percent?” I get that this number seems small. There are still four men for every one woman in the House of Reps. But if you think about it with a “glass half full” mindset, this ratio is much better than it seems. Considering that women were not allowed to participate in politics until the 1920s, this is a big feat for women. I am proud of this change, and I’m hopeful that if we continue with the upward trend, we will eventually reach a point where women and men have equal representation in government and in politics at large.

Recognizing the positives, however, does not mean that we can ignore what still needs to change. We can not become complacent. The reality is, our country is a sea of red, and three quarters of the federal government are still in conservative control. We are still responsible for standing up for what we believe in and fighting the backwards thinking that permeates our country. I’m pretty sure you get the point.

To recap, I’d say that the midterm elections, while not overwhelmingly positive, were not overwhelmingly negative. There were wins and there were losses, but I’d say it was a step in the right direction. Let’s keep that momentum going and put our energy into the next election, which is arguably more significant.

Remember, voting is your right, and change will not come without action. Stay motivated.

Ilana Hirschfeld

Northeastern '22

Ilana Hirschfeld is a first-year student at Northeastern University, majoring in Environmental Studies and Political Studies. Originally from San Diego, California, she's excited to be starting a new chapter of her life in Boston!