Remedies for Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

New school, new city, new phase. As a freshman, for many, if not all of us, college meant leaving the comfort of home. Moving away is never an easy thing to do. Being physically cut off from the support system of your closest friends and family often puts us in a very vulnerable state. That plus to rebuild that circle of close friends in an alien environment? God save our souls.

Courtesy of Imgur

For me, homesickness came in waves. Once the novelty and excitement of being in a new, vibrant city wore off, I found myself aching for some familiarity amidst the chaotic life of balancing academics and getting accustomed to independent living. Trust me when I say that for four days of the week, there was nothing more I wanted than for the solace of eating a home-cooked meal after a long day. Fret not if you find yourself feeling homesick because chances are, the people around you are going through the same thing or have gone through it in the past.

That said, there are definitely some things you can do to help ease that uncomfortable feeling:

1. Stay connected to your family and close friends:  Skype them, Snapchat them, send them a message (or a letter if you’re feeling old-school) – we live in a world of technology and this is especially helpful with curbing homesickness.

2. Get involved and explore your new home: A lot of the times when we’re feeling out of place we’ll tend to just shut out everything around us. While some quiet time is completely okay, it’s important to also take some of that time to get involved with the many clubs and organizations around campus and also to familiarize yourself with your new home. This way, you’ll keep yourself occupied and feel more at home in an otherwise foreign land.

3. Form a new routine: One of the main reasons why homesickness makes us feel the way we do is because we have to steer away from what we’re used to doing every single day and make a big change in our routines. So, why not make a new one in your new home?

4. Never be afraid to reach out to someone for help or simply just to talk about how you’re feeling: More often than not, you’ll realize that the people around you are going through the exact same thing. Homesickness is a very common thing among college students, but with the stigma on mental health, it’s easy to ignore the feelings and let the sadness and distress escalate into something more.

These are just some simple ways to help curb or overcome feeling homesick. Whether you choose to follow these tips or have better ways of coping, just keep in mind that you are not alone and it’s what you choose to do with your time that’ll eventually get you excited for a new day. Who knows, by the time you’re back home, maybe you’ll be feeling ‘homesick’ for the routine you’ve created in your second home!