Rating Outfits from the 2023 Golden Globes 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

1. Quinta Brunson

@quintab Instagram Post, 2023

First up is Quinta Brunson who is wearing Christian Siriano. This dress is not my favorite of Brunson’s looks, but she does look absolutely stunning. The mix of hot pink and black tulle reminds me of the punk 2012 goth girl era. While that isn’t the trend I would choose to bring back, the hot pink does compliment Brunson’s skin color, and her makeup and hair make the look sleek and appropriate for the carpet. I think the minimal jewelry also adds to how sleek she looks. 

Overall: 8/10

2. Jennifer Coolidge

@jennifercoolidge Instagram Post, 2023

Next is Jennifer Coolidge in Dolce & Gabbana. I wasn’t personally a fan of the look. I think the shape of the dress does little for her, and the makeup could do more to add to the look. I think some color and a different neckline would make Jennifer look absolutely stunning. The hair is also not the best in my opinion as I feel she could have done something aside from her signature hairdo on such a special occasion.

Overall: 4/10

3. Sheryl Lee Ralph

@thesherylleeralph Instagram Post, 2023

Sheryl Lee Ralph is absolutely stunning in this Alíette gown. The color makes her skin tone pop and her slick back hair is chic. The high neckline, though not a fan favorite, looks very good on Ralph. Her eye makeup and the color of the dress go so well together, and her simple choice of accessories allows the dress to shine on its own.

Overall: 9/10

4. Jenna Ortega

@jennaortega Instagram Post, 2023

Jenna Ortega in Gucci and Tiffany & Co. jewelry is iconic. This outfit and her new haircut are very complementary to her strong facial bones. The dress is a fresh take on fashion, and the reddish brown tones similar to her hair combined with the layered necklaces are beautifully subtle. The glowy makeup and flipped ends of her hair don’t age Ortega but also leave her looking mature enough for the Golden Globes.

Overall: 10/10

5. Jessica Chastain

@quiencom Instagram Post, 2023

Jessica Chastain in Oscar de La Renta is one of the best outfits so far. She looks absolutely radiant in her gown, and the makeup is very fitting. The bronze eyeshadow compliments her red hair, but it also allows the dress to be the focus of her look. The mesh detailing combined with the sparkly, crystal-adorned spider-webbed pattern of her dress makes this look very eye-catching. I loved this look from Chastain, and I am very glad that the mask she wore (not seen in the picture) perfectly matched this dress. 

Overall: 9/10

6. Daisy edgar-Jones

@daisyedgarjones Instagram Post, 2023

Daisy Edgar-Jones is wearing Gucci, and she is giving Victorian realness. The lace bodice on this dress with the deep V leading into the tulle bottom was an amazing style choice for her body type. The shape of the dress absolutely highlights her body in a beautiful way, and the lack of a necklace lets the dress absolutely shine. The subtle makeup look with the updo and rosy lips is a lovely addition, allowing it to be a simple but dazzling look. 

Overall: 10/10

7. Michelle Williams

@nickverreos Instagram Post, 2023

Michelle Williams is also wearing Gucci and Tiffany & Co. jewelry, similar to Jenna Ortega. The two gowns are both very similar, but Williams’ dress is less flowy and more frilly. I think the color almost washes her out. I love the dress, but I think it would better suit her undertones in a different shade. Her updo is beautiful, but I think a sparkly barrette or dangling earrings would have elevated the look. Her shoes are cute as well, and I like how the shade matches the beaded lining of the dress frills. Overall, it’s a cute look, but I would’ve appreciated this gown in a different color. 

Overall: 6/10

8. Jamie Lee Curtis

@jamieleecurtis Instagram Post, 2023

Jamie Lee Curtis is wearing Valentino, and her look is absolutely stunning. The lace cape has very nice detailing that adds to the simplicity of her jumpsuit. Her diamond bangles are a great addition to add a little sparkle to her look. Lee Curtis’ makeup is also stunning, and the bronzed smoky eye adds to the depth of the look. 

Overall: 7/10

9. Heidi Klum

@heidiklum Instagram Post, 2023

Heidi Klum is wearing Kevin Germanier. While this dress is definitely a statement piece, I don’t think this is one of Klum’s best outfits. Her face makeup doesn’t match the shade of the tan on the rest of her body which I think makes her makeup look washed out. The feather boa attached to the silver sparkly dress could be cute, but I don’t find it very appropriate for the Golden Globes carpet. Klum’s shoes are nice, but overall, the outfit is a bit too much for me.

Overall: 3/10

10. Salma Hayek Pinault

@salmahayek Instagram Post, 2023

Finally, Salma Hayek Pinault is wearing Gucci. Her dress is similar to Jessica Chastain’s, but Pinault’s dress has sleeves. I think the black straps on the dress were unnecessary, but overall the look is not that bad. I do wish she was wearing more jewelry, perhaps a necklace similar to Jenna Ortega’s to match the sparkly design of the dress. I like her updo, and I think the makeup is nice and subtle. I only wish there was another element to Pinault’s look to make it pop.

Overall: 6/10

Megan Lee

Northeastern '25

Megan (she/her/hers) is an international affairs and criminal justice major with a minor in Spanish. She is a third-year student at Northeastern University from New Orleans, Louisiana. Most of her interests involve music, lifestyle/beauty trends, exercise/ gym culture, and world politics/affairs. She's very passionate about advocacy issues such as equal pay, refugee rights, and human trafficking awareness/resources.