Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Let’s talk about the ultimate fall flavor — pumpkin spice. This well-known flavor goes as far back as 1934, when McCormick released its Pumpkin Pie Spice flavoring. However, in all fairness, it is practically impossible to think of pumpkin spice and not visualize a tall paper cup with a circular green logo.

This year marks the 16th anniversary of Starbucks’ infamous PSL or pumpkin spice latte. Although the PSL is only available for a single season, Starbucks customers have purchased more than 400 million pumpkin spice lattes, each one bringing in around $5 for the company. With these statistics, there’s no doubt as to why each year the famous fall flavor is released earlier and earlier. 

This year, Starbucks set a record for the earliest release date yet: August 27. For some, the idea of drinking a fall beverage in the summer heat is unbearable; to others, it’s a dream come true. However, summer is not the only thing the pumpkin spice craze is taking over. Pumpkin spice has expanded beyond local coffee shops and into a variety of markets. With a plethora of new pumpkin spice themed products each year, no matter where on the spectrum your love of pumpkin spice falls, the variety of products means there’s bound to be a fall-flavored item for you.

Here are the top 10 ways to incorporate pumpkin spice into your life this fall, for every kind of person:

The Famous PSL

You can’t have a pumpkin spice list and not include the Starbucks latte that started it all.

The Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew

This year, the chain created a drink combining two of their best sellers — nitro cold brew and pumpkin spice. Perfect for the person who needs a refreshing temperature or some extra caffeine in their fall drink.

Bath & Body Works Caramel Pumpkin Swirl Latte Candle

This is for the person that prefers to smell the famous flavor rather than consume it. This candle is the perfect combination of sweet and spice and it’s guaranteed to leave your home smelling like fall.

Blue Diamond Pumpkin Spice Almonds

A pumpkin spice option that can provide multiple health benefits along with a healthy dose of fall.

Kind Bars: Caramel Almond Pumpkin Spice

Granola bars are a staple in most college backpacks and what better way to get on-the-go nutrition mixed with some pumpkin spice in your life. 

Green Mountain Pumpkin Spice K-cups

A great way to enjoy a fall drink daily without the daily hit to your bank account.

Pumpkin Spice Burt’s Bees Chapstick

This fall you can ensure soft lips and guarantee you always have pumpkin spice flavor on hand with this handy chapstick. 

Pumpkin Spice Quaker Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a staple for many busy college students. This option allows you to experience the fall spirit with nothing more than your dorm microwave.

Pumpkin Spice Cheerios

Get your heart-healthy, whole-grain cereal with a little added spice.  

Dunkin’ Donuts Pumpkin Muffin

Although there is no question Starbucks still dominates the pumpkin spice drink category, head over to this other popular coffee chain to enjoy a scrumptious fall snack.

Olivia Rossi

Northeastern '23

Olivia Rossi is a second-year bioengineering major at Northeastern University. She loves the outdoors, health and fitness, and all things Boson.
Nia Beckett

Northeastern '22

Nia is a second-year journalism major with a global fashion studies minor at Northeastern University. She loves Carrie Bradshaw, YouTube, and chai tea lattes. Follow her on Instagram @niashalise_.