The NU Collegiette’s Guide to Husky-Fan Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

With Homecoming just around the corner and the fast arrival of chilly fall weather, many Husky collegiettes are eagerly anticipating the start of hockey and basketball season. For those new to the Northeastern sport scene, figuring out all the dos and don’t-s for these upcoming big games could leave you feeling lost and confused. Luckily, HC Northeastern is here to fill you in on everything you need to know about dressing right for the upcoming hockey and basketball seasons.

While collegiettes at other schools may deck themselves out in shredded, fringed tops and crazy accessories for game days, you’ll be hard pressed to find any getups like that in Northeastern’s fan sections. As we all know, Boston winters can be quite brutal, so don’t torture yourself by making the trek to Matthews in a crop top and spandex shorts when it’s snowing and single-digit temperatures outside. Huskies pride themselves on being spirited, savvy and practical, so here are some suggestions of ways you can show off all three!

The DogHouse:
Hockey East’s premiere student section, The DogHouse (section 44 in the Matthews balcony) is one of the loudest and most spirited spots to be during a Husky hockey game. While it’s important to stay warm above the ice, you also want to make sure you dress comfortably, as you’ll be standing, clapping and cheering for most of the game

If you’re new to the Husky hockey scene and aren’t so keen on dropping your hard-earned cash on a jersey, I’d suggest a black sweatshirt or long-sleeved t-shirt, like this fleece from the NU bookstore to keep you warm throughout the three periods. Moccasin booties are both a comfortable and cute footwear option that’ll also keep you warm on the walk to and from Matthews. To carry your Husky card, ticket and phone, a small wristlet is a great choice that’ll allow you to keep your hands free for cheering during the game.

For the more passionate fans, you may want to pick up a jersey (if you go to every game, you’ll be wearing it at least once a week for 5 years, so I say it’s worth the investment!). Northeastern now sells Frozen Fenway replica jerseys on the Athletics store which is a great novelty item aside from the usual black jerseys. It can be tricky to make a boxy, polyester jersey look chic, but classic black riding boots – a stylish and comfortable solution – can certainly help up your fashion-factor. A crossbody bag is also a great option, since you can sling it on and be free to cheer the night away!

The N-Zone:
With one of the only courtside student sections in the nation, The N-Zone is the ultimate cheering spot for Northeastern basketball fans. Unlike NU hockey games, you don’t have to worry about the cold factor of the ice, but it’s still key to dress warm, for the walk to and from Matthews, and comfortably, for standing the entire game.

Unless otherwise indicated by the N-Zone leaders, something red should be your go-to for any basketball game. If you don’t want to spring for your own jersey, a red t-shirt, like this one from the bookstore, is perfect to stay comfortable and show your Husky pride. For those slushy Boston nights, these patent leather duck boots are both fun and practical for long walks across campus.

If you want to go all out, the CAA online store sells jerseys that you can rock courtside at every game. For winters in Boston, I’d suggest throwing a red or white long-sleeved t-shirt underneath just for some extra warmth. If you want to show even more spirit, red Mardi Gras beads are a fun addition for any game.

Now that you’re fully outfitted for the DogHouse and N-Zone, check out our Collegiette Guide to Northeastern Athletics for some tips on how to be the ultimate Husky fan. And as always, GO NU!

Have any other suggestions for collegiette Husky fans? Leave them in the comments section below! 

Ally is a fifth-year graphic design major at Northeastern University from Portland, Maine. She also works with the Her Campus Northeastern team as the branch’s PR & Social Media Chair, as well as a designer and contributing writer. A former design intern for the Boston Bruins, Her many passions include an affinity for all four Boston sports teams, as well as a love for skiing, a sport that she fell in love with at the age of two. Ally also volunteers as a campus tour guide at Northeastern and is a dedicated fan of Northeastern ice hockey.