david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New England’s Halloween Town: Salem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In 1692, a small town in Massachusetts became crazed with paranoia, causing the town members to believe that certain women were possessed with haunting spirits. The town initiated trials at which these ‘witches’ were questioned for practicing the ‘Devil’s magic.’ Many of these innocent women were then convicted and executed for their crimes. Salem has gained a reputation as New England’s Halloween town for their infamous history and is now visited by many tourists every autumn. If your guilty pleasures are spooky stories, exploring haunted houses and disguising yourself in costume, Salem is the place for you. Listed are seven activities and events that you can experience this fall in Salem:

1. The Witch House

Ein Beitrag geteilt von VAMP (@vamp) am

This establishment was once the home of Jonathan Corwin, a judge who led and convicted many women accused of witchcraft. This is one of the few original properties once owned by a member actively involved in the trials.

2. House of the Seven Gables

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Dana Newkirk | Hedgewitch (@weird_dana) am

This was the home of Nathaniel Hawthorne, writer of The Scarlet Letter, a novel that was potentially influenced by the Salem witch trials.

3. Witch Dungeon

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Vanessa Brielle (@mywickedcraft) am

The museum holds a replica of the prison cells that held the accused. After a tour of the museum, tourists sit through a reenactment of the well-known trial investigating the demonic possession of Reverend Parris’s niece, Abigail Williams. This interesting theater presentation explains the initial accusation that started the hunt.

4. Psychic Fair and Witches Market

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Erica Feldmann (@hauswitch) am

This free market takes place in downtown Salem every day in the month of October from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Visitors can get Tarot card readings, palm and past life readings and clairvoyant visions.

5. Candlelit Ghostly & Graveyard Walking Tours

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Witch City Walking Tours (@witchcitywalkingtours) am

This weekend walking tour allows you to explore the town and the various historical buildings. Guides share stories related to spiritual activity and sightings in the town. The journey covers the Joshua Ward House, Howard St. Cemetery, the Old Salem Prison and the Lyceum.  

6. Witch Mansion

If you really want a scare, go to the Witch’s Mansion! The haunted house is filled with 4D graphics, animations and illusions. Needless to say, some ghosts and goblins can be found hiding in the halls of this mansion.

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.