This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

We’ve all been there: one hour until the next class or obligation and no real amount of time to accomplish anything, or at least that’s what we tell ourselves.

In doing so, we justify the need for a nap. Whether it is twenty minutes or two hours long, napping can do wonders for the college students who just can’t keep their eyes open a second longer.

The only down sides, however, are what one loses during said escape from reality and the unavoidable feeling of confusion and drowsiness that often follows. Here are some tips to ensure you make the most of every minute and are well aware of the dos and don’ts of napping.

1. Always ask yourself, how much work do I have to do? If the answer is lengthy, consider a combat nap. Although it may not seem like much, knocking out for a solid 20-30 minutes can refresh your mind and allow you to both read and retain the paragraph on the page. Don’t forget to set an alarm (or two) or you’ll wake up three hours later wondering what day it is.

2. After a stressful week, such as midterms, where you were awake for hours on end, is when you should consider a longer nap. Find two hours of the day and pass out, you’ll need it. It may seem as though you will have to work longer by doing so but in actuality you will learn and understand everything better when you are more alert and ready to take on lab reports, essays, problem sets or studio time.

3. The post-nap confusion, although often humorous, is completely disorienting. The best way to completely wake up after a nap is to a) make sure you actually get out of your bed and vertical. Nothing worse than an unexpected nap after your planned one, and b) eat something small to get more energy and ready for the new day you have created.

4. If you are one of those people who knows they will be gone the second they hit the pillow, lying your head down on your desk is a good second best. Definitely not as comfortable and inviting, which means there is a slim chance you will stay hunched and bent like that for long enough to be detrimental.

5. Recognize the need for sleep and rest. Don’t be that kid to walk around like a zombie for weeks on end claiming that naps are for the weak; this is flat out wrong. Naps are an amazing way to accomplish more than you could ever dream of and are the perfect recharge for any long day.

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!
Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!