My Goodreads Wrapped: What I Thought of the 31 Books I Read in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The chaotic year that was 2022 came with the rise and fall of Wordle, the BeReal revolution, and the release of “Harry and Meghan.” It also came with 31 new additions to the “read” section of my Goodreads. Here are some of the most influential books I read this past year and why I think they should make their way onto your to be read (TBR) list.

Carrie Soto Is Back (Taylor Jenkins Reid)

Twkd9VACQLgMmh6gLRLp DOMQmR3Nkdh0mmsrstPpHgX jwPLgT xbwH6cI2TM2BAUwuaIhzsMBEojNo cuhCYTmUpj r3AFMO06z BHTx EX4p7Nt HPRW5vpvELUYHRfrpaaussspu7ok8TiBydmY

“Carrie Soto Is Back” was nothing I expected it to be and everything I needed it to be. While the book was written about tennis, it wasn’t written for tennis players specifically. It was written for those who never felt like their best was enough. Those who always felt the pressure to give a little bit more, even when there was nothing left to give. The relationship between Carrie and her father/coach Javier also resonates with a lot of readers. Carrie’s obstinate personality is what makes her one of the most controversial but respected women on the court. With the controversy that constantly surrounds tennis players, a book like “Carrie Soto” is exactly what society needs.

A Court of Thorns and Roses series (Sarah J. Maas)

qFukx4rjkoGn8cwijaBPCOZmUY4P6UVQQyJ0b0UwFlHLlQLsP6Rpb6csrWfJtED4aa3ixzba578BrRTLxoJv8o QKKRyFJasHqax5LNsP

2022 was the year that I finally took the leap into the complex world that is the fantasy genre, and I’m not talking about the dystopian novels of my youth (ie: “Harry Potter,” “The Hunger Games,” and the “Divergent” series). I’m talking about the intricately woven fabric that is the faerie universe in “A Court of Thorns and Roses.” As stated in an article published by the New York Public Library, “The novel began as a ‘Beauty and the Beast’ retelling that became its own original tale along the way.” These books are not for the faint of heart with the length of the series totaling almost 3,000 pages and some… less than tasteful descriptions. Enter this world at your own risk, but I can guarantee it will change the way you see finger painting.

Normal People (Sally Rooney)

V6OSIQ2dFWYr R 0OTl2itCW6YMUlfZK 3SH8HY5YGiT0XrhSyv r6BVW2D40VMKUBO1s2 Ksij9KcuqbSN4NIz40Q1XXulsxMH6DGtFVvFk0C9SaMkNT AcbvRhIinNeBdwT CTtznh4CVtUk0dkvg

Sally Rooney has been the talk of the town at least in the circles I run in. Her writing beautifully articulates the feeling of being a 20-something with no idea where you’re going. Her other books “Conversations with Friends” and “Beautiful World, Where Are You” are equally as compelling, but the honesty in which she captures the transition from small-town living into a quarter-life existential crisis in “Normal People” is invigorating. She beautifully and grievously details what it’s like to feel the days dragging on with the hard times seeming insurmountable only to look back one day and realize that years have passed. But it’s okay; you’re just another normal person. And that’s a beautiful thing.

Lessons in Chemistry (Bonnie Garmus)

Bonnie Garmus is not historically a well-known author. In fact, “Lessons in Chemistry” was her debut novel, but boy did she enter the ring with a bang. “Lessons in Chemistry” tells the story of Elizabeth Zott, a chemist turned cooking show host (not by choice). Rarely do I say this, but this book truly has something for everyone. The plot of the book centers around the very real struggles that women in the workforce have to put up with on a daily basis. The only female chemist at her lab in the 60’s, Zott has to fight tooth and nail for respect from others, but she never loses respect for herself. It’s a romance, mystery and tragedy all rolled into one, and it’s written with a strong voice and extreme eloquence. If Elizabeth Zott existed today, she would be labeled the feminist of her time, but that’s not what she is. She is, simply put, revolutionary.

Little Fires Everywhere (Celeste Ng)

CCVL2PLvLAigS zuTSAP3SA7uM GpVzxD5t 8z3qLqx4EzLUjoZSX0f0IAWRnHIjtVyblLg624I5s7UJo2nPWOAcmHLde4M9aYlKKj98j

Based on the cover and title of the book, I expected this to be three hundred and fifty pages of setting the scene and pondering life’s great questions. I have never been more pleased to be completely and utterly wrong. This story captivated me and left me with endless questions. Following three intertwined storylines scaling decades, Celeste Ng does a terrific job of encapsulating the facade of the intense mediocrity of quiet suburbia and what really lies underneath. In its entirety, the book focuses on motherhood and morality in its many forms and how keeping up appearances can be the demise of the seemingly perfect household.

Here’s to another unhinged year and many more pages turned!

My 2022 Recap Ranking

Total books: 31

Total pages: 11,087

1. Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnie Garmus
  2. The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood
  3. I’m Glad My Mom Died, Jennette McCurdy
  4. Carrie Soto is Back, Taylor Jenkins Reid
  5. Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid
  6. Malibu Rising, Taylor Jenkins Reid
  7. Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng
  8. Funny You Should Ask, Elissa Sussman
  9. A Court of Mist and Fury, Sarah J. Maas
  10. Normal People, Sally Rooney
  11. A Court of Thorns and Roses, Sarah J. Maas
  12. All Your Perfects, Colleen Hoover
  13. The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank
  14. Book Lovers, Emily Henry
  15. Call Me By Your Name, André Aciman
  16. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Suzanna Collins
  17. The Queen’s Gambit, Walter Tevis
  18. Reminders of Him, Colleen Hoover
  19. A Court of Wings and Ruin, Sarah J. Maas
  20. Love, Lists, and Fancy Ships, Sarah Grunder Ruiz
  21. What If It’s Us, Becky Albertalli
  22. Red, White, & Royal Blue, Casey McQuiston
  23. Verity, Colleen Hoover
  24. It Starts with Us, Colleen Hoover
  25. The Summer I Turned Pretty, Jenny Han
  26. It’s Not Summer Without You, Jenny Han
  27. We’ll Always Have Summer, Jenny Han
  28. It Ends with Us, Colleen Hoover
  29. Here’s To Us, Becky Albertalli
  30. Ugly Love, Colleen Hoover
  31. The Hookup Dilemma, Constance Gillam
Sam Campbell

Northeastern '25

nursing student from san francisco. loves sweet tea, old books, and visiting new places.