My First Week as a Transfer Student at Northeastern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Courtesy of Pinterest

Transferring from one college to another is a transition of bittersweet emotions: terror of the unknown mixed with excitement for the slightly new journey that awaits. I completed my first year at a small suburban private college that is the polar opposite of Northeastern. As a transfer student, I knew what to expect in regards to the overall college experience. However, transferring into a large university in Boston and hoping that you made the right decision, again, is worrisome.

This past week, I have come across some of the similar challenges that first year students go through. For instance, spending 20 minutes in one building trying to find my first class to realize I was not the right building was not one of my proudest moments. Aside from getting lost on campus, I also dread making friends, just as any other first year, and deciding which groups to join. But as a transfer, I also have other thoughts in mind; am I taking the right classes, am I making the most of what I have left of my college experience, will I be able to handle living on my own in an apartment. Believe me, seeing a mouse scurry through the bathroom floor of my apartment after a stressful day of classes was not fun. Although I have these anxious filled thoughts, I do believe that I made the right decision to transfer.

One part of becoming an adult is making judgment calls and taking responsibility and action to change what might not be in your best interest. College is both a higher learning opportunity and a process of self discovery. Compared to the first week at my previous college, I find my classes more challenging and fulfilling. I am involved in extracurricular activities, and I already feel a sense of belonging within the Northeastern community. Although it is a large university, there is a sense of inclusiveness with the multitude of diverse students. Making this radical change from a small college to an immense university was the beginning of my self discovery and I hope to uncover more moments of self realization as the weeks go on at Northeastern.

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.  
Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.