This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s been a busy month for artists in the music industry. There is much to celebrate in this joyous season for Taylor Swift as she gears up for some big changes in her life. The 1975 released their new album at the end of the month, and our teenager spirits have not felt more alive since 2016 when “I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it” came out. Here are some memorable November moments that will go down in music industry history:

Taylor Swift’s record contract is over

Taylor Swift is finally out of the woods! The release of “Reputation” marks her sixth and final album with Big Machine Records after fulfilling her contract. There isn’t any bad blood between Swift and her last label, but the 10-time Grammy winner is thrilled to be working with Republic Records and Universal Music Group. This moment is very important in music history because Swift will own all of her master recordings, and receive revenue from Spotify shares. Taylor Swift’s victory will pave the road for other artists and change the way the music industry operates.

The 1975 have a new album out

The 1975 have been promoting their new album, “A Brief Inquiry Into Online Relationships,” for some time, but now it is finally out! The concept of the album is widely ironic; it practically screams masterpiece. Healy is blunt and honest when he takes us through the dark realities of his life – there is no sugar-coating involved. In the new album, you will hear some of the same sounds from their past works (think synth packed ballads and electric riffs). But they also experiment with a blend of new elements, such as jazzy undertones and the use of robotic voice-overs. Critics and fans have been going into a frenzy since the release, but take a listen and see for yourself if it’s worth the hype. 2018 isn’t even over, but The 1975 are already planning on releasing another album next year.

WITCHROT broke up

It would be a tragedy if your favorite band broke up. I mean, what are you going to do now with your time, money and effort if you can’t wait outside their concert for barricade, seven nights in a row? It’s truly a nightmare! However, good things can come out of it. Toronto’s metal band, WITCHROT’s breakup post became an internet sensation.

WITCHROT’s post on November 25th at 12:42 PM on Facebook:

“Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist f*****g my girlfriend of almost seven years, WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I, however, will continue the band in another space and time, being ripe with hate. The music is slowly flowing and without a doubt will become the most devastating, torturous music I have ever created. Thanks for the support, stay heavy – Peter

Also our drummer died…”

You see the first part coming, but the last sentence was totally unexpected. Talk about a crazy plot twist! It’s only slightly inconvenient that the band broke up, because their page has over 31k likes on Facebook. I sense a record deal coming very soon.   

The status of music streaming

Music streaming is growing, but has it hit capacity? Sirius XM brought Pandora for $3.5 million back in September 2018, and reaped the benefits of a larger consumer base. The competition in the music streaming industry is incredibly fierce, and even with this high profile merger, Spotify and Apple Music remain the top two giants in the field. Apple Music made a big move this month by announcing a partnership with Amazon, specifically, Alexa. This is a big play because Amazon music services and Apple Music previously competed against one another in the past. Starting Dec. 17, Apple Music Users can control and play their music using the Echo devices. “Alexa, please cue the music and play ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ by Mariah Carey.”

Victoria Tan

Northeastern '19

Hello! My name is Victoria Tan and I recently graduated from Northeastern University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. During my time there, I double majored in marketing and finance. You would most likely find me wandering through the halls of a musuem, or exploring different neighborhoods. P.S. I am always on the hunt for the best ice cream spots, so let me know if you need recommendations, or have any suggestions!