etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Summer can’t come soon enough and I’m not just talking about leaving the below freezing temperatures behind. A bunch of music festival lineups have already been released for 2019, and fans have lots to look forward to. Here are some of my favorite U.S.-based festivals for 2019:

1. Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival

Week 1: April 12-14

Week 2: April 19-21

Indio, CA, Empire Polo Club

Coachella is like the Holy Mecca for music enthusiasts. It also attracts celebrities, influencers and anyone in need of an Insta-worthy backdrop for their new profile picture. All jokes aside, this year’s first weekend tickets sold out in just under 40 minutes. The headliners for this year are Childish Gambino, Tame Impala and Ariana Grande. This is a big deal because Ariana Grande is the fourth female to headline in Coachella history, and is currently the youngest headliner to ever perform. This year’s lineup finally acknowledged diversity by including global powerhouses such as the K-pop group BLACKPINK and J. Balvin. Overall, the line-up is pretty solid, but still not as impressive as previous years (hello Beyoncé 2018). Despite the negative qualities about Coachella (overpriced food, temperatures in the 100s and the copious amounts of dust one may inhale), it’s truly an experience one will never forget when dancing in the desert to some of the world’s greatest musicians and acts. This year will be its “20th anniversary.”

2. SXSW Music Festival/Conference

March 11-17

Austin, TX

SXSW Music Festival is part of a collaborative showcase that highlights upcoming technology, music, film and innovation. This week-long festival/conference is one of the most important events of the year for emerging artists, professionals in the music industry and dedicated music fans. The music portion of the event features 2,000 plus performers from over 60+ countries. It’s more than just a festival, but a wholesome experience where one can discover new talent and network with other people.

3. Firefly Music Festival

June 20-23

Dover, DE, Dover International Speedway

Firefly Music Festival isn’t Coachella, but their line-up is just as remarkable, or dare I say, even better. They have Panic! at the Disco, Travis Scott and Post Malone headlining, in addition to a long list of Billboard’s top artists such as Tyler The Creator and Zedd. Can I just point out Vampire Weekend, and many other underrated artists, will be there, and they will most certainly change your life? This is truly the best festival line-up for those indie fans out there!

4. Boston Calling Music Festival

May 24-26

Allston, MA, Harvard Athletic Complex

2019 marks the 10th anniversary of Boston Calling Music Festival, and the line-up definitely does not disappoint! They always do a good job of curating so there’s something for everyone, and it works out every time! Twenty One Pilots, Tame Impala and Travis Scott will be headlining this year. There are also a lot of alumni on the roster, including Janelle Monae and Odesza, but we will also see a lot of fresh faces this year, including Anderson Paak and Greta Van Fleet. Unlike other festivals on the East Coast, Boston Calling also features a comedy set with some of the world’s greatest comedians. To top it all off, Boston Ballet will be making a special appearance. Get your tickets now before they sell out!

5. Governors Ball Music Festival

May 31-June 2

New York City, NY, Randall’s Island Park

New York City is known for a lot of things: NYFW, exquisite dining experiences and, of course, the Governors Ball music festival. Some may call it the East Coast “Coachella,”, and they aren’t wrong. The Strokes, Florence + The Machine, Lil Wayne and Tyler the Creator will be headlining the festival. This year’s lineup is important because BROCKHAMPTION and Vince Staples will finally make their debut on the Gov Ball stage, having missed their chance in 2016 when a severe thunderstorm hit NYC and day 3 of the festival was canceled. In addition, last year BROCKHAMPTION announced their decision to pull out of all remaining tour dates (including Gov Ball) to regroup after sexual misconduct allegations were reported against one of their members (he is no longer part of BROCKHAMPTON now). Fans were left feeling pretty disappointed, but hopefully this year will make up for it! The line-up for Gov Ball could honestly not get any better and tickets are going to sell out soon.

Music Festivals to Look Out For:

In addition to the one’s above, there are a few festivals whose lineups and/or dates haven’t been announced yet. You should definitely keep an eye on them though, because they are worth checking out!

Full Moon Music Festival

New York City, NY, Knockdown Center (location is subject to change)

Dates: (TBA – previous dates were from June 30-July 1)

Line-up: TBA

Pitchfork Music Festival

Chicago, IL, Union Park

Dates: (TBA – previous dates were from July 20-22)

Line-up: TBA

Lollapalooza Music Festival

Grant Park, IL

Dates: August 1-4

Line-up: TBA

Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival

San Francisco, CA, Golden Gate Park

Dates: August 9-11

Line-up: TBA

Austin City Limits Music Festival

Austin, TX, Zilker Metropolitan Park

Dates: Weekend One: October 4-6

Weekend Two: October 11-13

Line-up: TBA

Victoria Tan

Northeastern '19

Hello! My name is Victoria Tan and I recently graduated from Northeastern University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. During my time there, I double majored in marketing and finance. You would most likely find me wandering through the halls of a musuem, or exploring different neighborhoods. P.S. I am always on the hunt for the best ice cream spots, so let me know if you need recommendations, or have any suggestions!