This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Last Thursday, September 26, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston offered a college night for students in the city. Many schools, including Northeastern, got in for free. The theme of the night was “Hippie Chic.” Outside of the museum were vintage VW vans that people could explore the inside of and take pictures in. The event also featured the MFA’s newest fashion exhibit, Hippie Chic, which featured colorful long dresses and tunics with eccentric “acid” patterns and mismatched umbrellas, fantastic star shaped and tinted sunglasses, and clogs and high knee boots. All of the mannequins had the popular long, flowing hair of that time period. Music from the era played throughout the exhibit. If you watched those who lived in the 60’s and 70’s walk through the exhibit, you could tell that they felt a sense of nostalgia. Though the fashion is very different from today’s trends, some aspects have clearly resurfaced in the fashion world.

The night also included a tie-dye workshop in which Charlotte Hamlin gave a background on the history of tie-dye and taught the audience how to make their own on small pieces of cloth. Charlotte is an artist who teaches at UMass Dartmouth. Tie dye was very popular in the 1960’s and 1970’s as many hippies enjoyed crafting their own clothes and making them unique. Tie-dye is based off of compression. It isn’t random, like many think it is, but instead requires a certain technique. Cloth is bound by folding, pleating, or twisting to create certain patterns, which Hamlin showed us how to do. The amount of resistance also affects the pattern. Using the dye in small quantities works best. Being meticulous about preparation when creating the square greatly affected the finished product.

The whole night was a really fun way to enjoy a night out. It was interesting to learn about an era I never experienced and see styles that have been reborn in different ways.

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (:
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!
Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!