This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Almost a year has passed since schools shut down, restaurants closed to the public and a raging public health crisis took over the world. However, as of February 2021, more people have been vaccinated than those who have been infected — a nod to riveting technologies and public compliances. Despite this, it will be a long time before full human interaction is restored and places are able to subsist without virtual platforms. 

Now, more than ever, Valentine’s Day is synonymous with the fear of missing out (on relationships). As an introvert, I find music to be the perfect escape from the prevalence of social isolation. If you too are a self-proclaimed “single pringle” this Valentine’s season, look no further than this curated list of songs — they’re sure to evoke a pseudo-relationship feeling. 

Roses – Finn Askew

It’s hard not to sing along to the hook of this song in its first ten seconds. I’m a sucker for lo-fi yet upbeat love songs, and this is no exception. While I may have only encountered Finn Askew this past month, I’ll be sure to look through his Spotify discography in no time. The mix of singing and rapping (if it counts as rap) makes this a perfect listen for studying.

Mean It – Lauv & LANY

At this point, I could include any Lauv or LANY song and it would be warranted. The two music ensembles in a track together is a recipe for perfection. Though the song may address the feeling of wanting to mean more than a second choice, it’s hard not to bop your head to the staccato rhythm during the chorus.

High School – UMI

I had the pleasure of seeing UMI live a little over a year ago and I can confirm she is as ethereal as she looks. Despite not listening to her music prior to the concert, I fell in love with her style during those thirty minutes. “High School” is one of my favorite songs, as it conjures up feelings of nostalgia for an earlier point in our lives. Not to mention, the aesthetics in this video are a visual dream.

Upper West Side – King Princess

Similar to Lauv, I may as well include all of King Princess’s songs on here. Though I can explain the song here, King Princess’s explanation is more than enough to go by: 

“The song is about somebody who is wealthy and all that, and interested in this concept of disguising their wealth to be cool…I think especially in our culture, a huge part of the way that we present ourselves to the world is edited, and it’s digital. You have the luxury of touching things up and editing them and changing them before they hit the real world, and the reality is that a lot of the parts that we show isn’t the core and isn’t the heart of the matter. I talk about that a lot as well in the music because I am definitely a product of that generation.” 

While it’s not necessarily a love song, its ties to economic differences is a refreshing new take.

Mona Lisa – Valntn, Peter Fenn, Tray Haggerty

Sidenote: If you religiously watch a lifestyle YouTuber, there is a good chance you have heard this song in an introduction.

Similar to “Roses,” the chill vibes makes this song an easy listen for any menial task. Perhaps listening to this song may even alleviate desires to visit The Louvre.

Un Village – Baekhyun

There’s something about rhythmic beats in songs that leave me instantly attached. Despite being in Korean, “Un Village” — and its music video —make you feel like you’re taking a midnight stroll through New Orleans. 

Into You – Ariana Grande

Unpopular opinion: this is the Ariana Grande song. Of all the songs on this list, I feel the most pseudo-relationship-esque feelings from this one. The first verse paired with the bass drum is a musical masterpiece. In all honesty, any Ariana Grande song from this time can easily be put on this list.

Sleepover – Hayley Kiyoko

As a lesbian, Kiyoko documents this song as a chronicle of attempts to show her friend how deeply she longs to be in a relationship with her. However, that friend is unaware of her romantic feelings. For many of those in the LGTBQ+ community, feelings like this resonate strongly.

Coke & Henny Pt. 2 – Pink Sweat$

Another sidenote: I very much appreciate his adherence to the brand name of Pink Sweat$. He quite literally wears pink sweats. 

The acoustic tones coming from this track are great for a Sunday morning or lazy afternoon. On the other hand, late night listens are great for this as well.

Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.