Love Lessons We Learned from The Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In March, The Office first premiered in the U.S. It continued to run for nine years and it soon made its way into the hearts of all who watched it. You laughed when Jim put Dwight’s stapler in jello, you cried when Pam told Jim she couldn’t be with him after Casino Night, and wondered in awe at how Michael somehow didn’t drive the entire corporation into bankruptcy. While The Office taught us all some valuable life lessons (i.e., the perfect time to drop a “That’s what she said” joke and the proper way to conduct a fire drill), it also taught us about love. While many office romances tend to crash, burn, and leave you with nothing but an awkward elevator ride in the morning, the ones on this show stuck and set some very high standards for being wooed (still waiting on my teapot, Jim). Here are some of the best love lessons our favorite paper suppliers taught us during their nine-year run!

First off, obviously, you learned that no relationship could ever live up to the impossible standards set by Jim and Pam.

But it also taught you that friendship is the foundation of any romantic relationship.

You learned that you deserve to be with someone who treats you like you’re the most important person in the world.

You need to be with someone who can get on your level.

Someone who you can be yourself around.

Sometimes it might take a while for the timing to be right.

And other times you need to move on.

Things may not always be perfect, but if it’s real, it’s worth fighting for.

And sometime even the most unlikely couple can be a perfect match

But before being with anyone, you have to make like J Biebs and love yourself.

Most of all, it taught you that the most important love is the one you give to the people around you, and that even coworkers can become your best friends.

Lindsay Marum

Northeastern

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!