A Little Extra Help with Your Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I’ve never been one for spring cleaning.  I like to keep my room and closet at least tangibly clean all year long; what’s so special about spring?

Everything.  Since I got to NU, I’ve lived in a small, cramped dorm for the past seven months and have had to share a minuscule closet with my roommate.  There is absolutely no extra space, and I found myself dying to clean out my closet.  I, like many Collegiette™ shopaholics, love to buy clothes just because they’re cheap…but then I never wear them!  Also (and I hate to admit this), I’ve gained a good portion of my Freshman 15 since I came to Northeastern, and some of my clothes are just a tad too small for me now.

To make things easier on myself, I made a list of some of the most trustworthy thrift and consignment shops in Boston.  If any of you take spring cleaning seriously and want to help the less fortunate in the community, then this l
ist will be helpful to you, too:

If you have nice business clothes or formal wear that look as good as new, take them to Dress for Success on 989 Comm Ave.  Dress for Success helps provide women with economically affordable professional attire.

Rosie’s Place, Boston’s oldest women’s shelter also takes donation and doesn’t rely on any Federal funding. Find out what you can donate here. Visit 889 Harrison Avenue to donate.

Boomerangs Thrift Store
allows more casual clothes and also accepts donations of furniture, kitchenware, linens, and electronics (as long as they are in good condition and don’t need any repairs).  They won’t accept clothes with holes or stains, however.  Boomerangs’ profit helps to fight HIV/AIDS and spread awareness.  Boomerangs has two nearby locations on 1407 Washington Street and 563 Mass Ave.

Finally, the Morgan Memorial Goodwill stores in the area accept clothes, furniture, books, bicycles, media items, gym equipment, and other around-the-house items as long as they are in good and presentable condition.  Goodwill’s mission is to provide local residents with jobs and to help furnish the community.  The stores closest to campus are on 905 Mass Ave. and 1010 Harrison Ave.

Al HL

Northeastern '16

I was a student. Now I am not.
I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.