This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Katie Smith
Year at NU/Class: I’m either a junior or a senior. I graduate in December 2013.
Major/minor: I major in Communications with a concentration in Media Studies, and I minor in Sociology.

What are some of your hobbies? I don’t have any unique hobbies –I love being with my friends and family, shopping (when I have money, which is rare), working out, pop culture, going to sports games, and traveling.

What would you say some of your greatest accomplishments are? I went skydiving despite being terrified of heights – I’ll never do it again, but I’m pretty proud of that.  Otherwise, in the most nerdy way possible, I pride myself on the internships I’ve gotten, the experiences that I’ve had, and the grades I get.  Hard work pays off, period.

Tell me about your on-campus involvement. Is there anything you’ve been involved in that has had a big impact on you? I’ve been actively involved in NU PRSSA since freshman year, which has definitely shaped a lot of my experiences here at Northeastern.  I ran for E-Board my sophomore year, and have been on it ever since.  Now, I’m the President and it’s crazy to look back at how the club has grown and changed over the years.  I couldn’t be prouder of my E-Board and can’t wait to see what they accomplish in their own careers.  I am also a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon sorority.  Joining this chapter has, without a doubt, had the biggest impact on my time at Northeastern.  In this group of women, I have found my soulmates, my forever friends, and the best parts of my day.  They never cease to amaze me and make me laugh.  I have had some of my biggest (and best) adventures with them and can’t wait to see what the future has in store for us.  

Who are some of your role models? My role model is my mom.  She is undoubtedly the kindest, most devoted, and caring person I know.  Absolutely everything I do is for her and I aspire to be even half the woman and mother that she is one day.  I am and always will be the biggest mama’s girl.  My siblings also inspire me every single day.  I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am if it wasn’t for my incredible family.   

What is a typical day like for you? I don’t think there is a typical day in the PR industry.  I’m on co-op now, so I wake up, go to work, get off anywhere between 6-7, go to chapter or NU PRSSA, either workout or spend some time with my friends, watch TV, and pass out.  I am fully aware of how boring this sounds, but weekends are a whole different story.  I’m really content these days, so I must be doing something right.

How do you balance school work with extracurriculars? Regardless of whether I’m on co-op or in classes, I’m always organized.  I think that’s the key to being able to balance school, work, and extracurriculars.  I write everything down, make sure I keep track of due dates, and go from there.  Usually everything works out.

What is your favorite thing about NU? My favorite thing about NU is without a doubt my friends and sisters.  Boston wouldn’t come close to being the amazing city that it is without them.

Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!