Jordan Archer, Sigma Kappa Leadership Consultant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Jordan Archer
Hometown: Hollister, CA (no affiliation with Hollister Company!)
College: University of California, Berkeley (Go Bears!)
Major: Sociology, American Studies
Job title: Leadership Consultant for Sigma Kappa Sorority

What made you join Sigma Kappa?
The population of my hometown was smaller than that of my university, so I went through recruitment looking for connections and opportunities to get involved on campus. Throughout the recruitment process, Sigma Kappa really stuck out to me as the right fit. The women I met in Sigma Kappa showed me what leadership opportunities the sorority would provide for me, and also made me feel so at home. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made!

What were your fondest memories of Sigma Kappa during college?
The biggest takeaway from my collegiate experience in Sigma Kappa was the sense of friendship and sisterhood. I developed a tremendously supportive group of friends who always had my back, and still do to this day. One memory that really demonstrates that sisterhood is Bid Day during the fall of my sophomore year. The chapter took the new members rollerskating to celebrate joining Sigma Kappa. I had skated for about an hour, and had gotten within a few feet of the bench where my shoes were when I fell and broke my ankle. The rink did not have crutches and since I couldn’t put any pressure on my ankle, my two best friends had to serve as human crutches and help me walk to the car. It was painful but stands out as a symbol of the support I received throughout my four years in Sigma Kappa.

What do you like most about Boston so far?
I can confidently say that Boston has become my favorite city in the world. I love American history, so I love all the historical sites, museums, and tourist attractions. And though Nemo was a little more snow than I would have liked, I’m enjoying experiencing my first real winter! I have a long list of things that I still need to do before the end of the semester, but would love more suggestions!

Why did you decide to work for Sigma Kappa after graduating college?
Sigma Kappa gave me so much in college, and this job seemed like a great way to give back to the organization. This job is so different than any other, but it is an adventure I’ll appreciate for the rest of my life!

What are you most excited for this semester with the new colony class at Northeastern?
Every member of the colony class brings something unique to the chapter. We have women who are on dance teams, in student government, and give tours at Fenway Park.

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!