It’s Beanpot Time! Will the Underdogs Rise?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

December 1952, a revolutionary year for hockey fans. It marks the birth of one of Boston’s most beloved traditions:the Beanpot Tournament, the exciting tradition among Boston college sports, students and fans. Four colleges: Boston University, Boston College, Harvard University and our very own Northeastern. Huskies go face-to-face towards the finals this February 11th to see who will win the title of Beanpot Champions.

Will Boston College be going for their fourth title in a row? Will it be Boston University, trying to regain their champion title of their 2009 victory? Will it be Harvard, the winners of the 1993 Beanpot? Or will it be our Huskies of Northeastern who sadly haven’t seen a victory since 1988? We may be the underdogs, but there is hope in the air this year! So come and see the semi-finals today (!) at the Boston Gardens at 5 p.m. against Boston University.

And how will the women do this year? Will anyone actually care? Unfortunately women’s sports sometimes take the back burner. Whether they have the fan turn out or not, these lady huskies aren’t playing around. Their last victory was, wait for…last year. Yep actually these girls have had earned NINE titles since the men’s 1988 victory. These girls hold the title for 2012, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1991, 1990, 1989 and 1988 Beanpot Champions.  Their semi-finals are this Tuesday Feb. 5th at 8 p.m. and you can expect them to be batting their eyelashes while kicking some B.U. butts.

Some fans say its the funny “in-betweens” of the periods, when you get to see the little guys play, the teenagers getting sling-shot across the ice and of course watching people awkwardly avoid the dance cam (except for that shirtless guy!). But I bet what people love the most, besides actually winning the game, is being in the crowd. Standing with husky pride on your shirts (or stomachs) chanting the cheers, dancings the dances and most of all hearing the roars of hundreds of huskies behind you when we make a goal. Get your tickets now, to cheer on our Huskies, both male and female. For more dates and times check out the Beanpot’s website.

Photo

Preferences§1234567890-=Backspace Tabqwertyuiop[] Return  capslockasdfghjkl;' shift`zxcvbnm,./shift  English  Deutsch Español Français Italiano Português Русский alt alt  Preferences
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!