Husky in the Spotlight: Maggie Hess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Maggie Hess

Major: speech pathology

Hometown: Chester Springs, Pennsylvania

Year: junior

What will you be doing in Costa Rica this summer?

“I will be assisting a local speech therapist in weekly individual and group sessions with children with cleft lip and palate disorders.”

What made you decide to volunteer with the Costa Rican Association Pro-Child for Cleft Lip and Palate?

“Initially, I wanted to study abroad in Peru in the fall to enhance my Spanish skills and explore South American culture. However, I decided that delaying my graduation and paying Northeastern tuition simply to have an international experience was not worth it.  Luckily, I discovered this amazing alternative that would give me all the experiences I wanted and more!”

How have you been preparing for the trip?

“I’ve been practicing my Spanish with online exercises and by watching Spanish movies.  Additionally, I’ve been learning Costa Rican slang and a bit about the history of the country. I want to make sure I’m extra prepared when I arrive.”

What do you hope to get out of this experience?

“I hope to gain confidence in both my conversational Spanish and my ability to interact with unfamiliar clients in an environment outside of my comfort zone. I also want to help the local speech therapist with her client load and make an impact on the community!”

Lindsay Marum

Northeastern

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!