Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

How To Survive A Boston Winter From A Californian’s POV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I am a fifth-generation Californian… better yet, Los Angeleno. Growing up in Southern California comes with its pros and cons, but the ultimate selling point of the West Coast is undoubtedly the weather. From sunshine to beaches, the 75-degree sunshine provides ample opportunities for outdoor activities no matter what time of year. 

Once I moved to Boston, I did not understand how the weather would affect my mood and how it would negatively impact my hermitting habits. In an attempt to embrace the cold, I have come to realize, when dressed appropriately, the colder Boston winters have potential. So, here are 10 fashion tips to brave the winter cold:

1. Uniqlo HEATTECH Long-Sleeve

I swear by these long-sleeved shirts solely for layering purposes. Their thin texture provides the perfect base layer for additional sweaters and jackets galore. The material is extremely breathable and is much warmer than the traditional cotton long sleeves I originally layered with. Plus, the UNIQLO on Newbury has them in stock! 

1. A New Concealer

For the first time in my life, I had to buy a lighter concealer because my summer tan had taken the inevitable turn to paleness. I splurged, and I am obsessed with this Merit Minimalist Complexion Stick. I also love NARS Creamy Concealer

1. Leggings and Tights Under Pants 

I never understood the appeal of leggings under pants until the weather dropped below 20 degrees, and my jeans were too thin to keep my legs warm. My initial apprehension about this trick was discomfort, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make. I got these online but also embraced my traditional black leggings.  

1. Long-Ish Socks

I arrived in Boston with two pairs of long socks and fourteen pairs of ankle socks. Lo and behold, that was not going to work. These Bombas socks are pricey but are long-lasting and the perfect length for both boots and sneakers. 

1. Doc Martens

Doc Martens are undoubtedly the best shoe investment I have ever made as I have had my current pair for six years. Before moving to Boston, I was against having snow boots for aesthetic reasons, so I have been relying on my Docs to get me through the snow. They keep my feet warm, don’t get damaged by the salt on the roads, and leave a cool footprint in the snow, so they check all of my boxes!

1. Thick Sweaters 

This one may be a given for most people, but my naive, California brain thought that a long-sleeve and puffer jacket would be more than enough. Over time, I have acquired many of my best sweaters through local thrift shops. But if I want to splurge, I have been eyeing this turtleneck sweater and this classic yet unique sweater — both of which can be easily layered on top of the Uniqlo HEATTECH. 

1. Oversized Wool Coat

Call me dramatic, but it has been a lifelong dream of mine to be able to rock a long wool coat. With the cool January temperatures, my green tweed coat has been keeping me warmer than expected. Again, thrifting is a great way to find a classic coat, however, Zara and Nordstrom have appropriate and classic options. 

1. Black Puffer Coat 

When you walk on any college campus during the winter, it is a sea of black puffer coats for a reason. They are easy to style, warm, and convenient to throw on in a pinch. The Super Puff and The North Face are two common options, or if you want to get more creative, go for this striped Steve Madden or this colorful L’Academie.     

1. Beanie 

As someone who has curly hair, beanies are often hit or miss. I have always worn them to complete an outfit rather than for warmth. But I never understood how cold my ears would get when outside. This is my favorite beanie because the color blends perfectly into my hair and is appropriate for both fall and winter. However, if I want something closer to a winter hat, I’ll go for this Eddie Bauer look.

1. Hot Hands 

I often get made fun of for this one, but Hot Hands have single handedly saved me from days of numb fingertips. They are perfect for when you don’t want to bring out gloves, but your hands are in desperate need of some warmth. 

Ella Warner

Northeastern '27

Ella Warner is a first year Business Administration and Communication Studies student at Northeastern University. She voluntarily flocked to the east coast after growing up in Los Angeles, CA, and doesn't regret her decision one bit. In her free time, she loves to experiment with fashion trends and constantly has her finger on the pulse when it comes to pop culture.