This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As we all know, the one week that all college students dread is finals week. The week of fighting demons, trying to become an academic weapon, staying up late at the library, pulling all-nighters, and eating irregularly, all just to try to pass your classes. Overall, it is usually a horrible week for college students when we are just trying to make it home. So, in honor of finals week, here are some ways to have a nice relaxing break after going through this rollercoaster of academics. 

Cut contact with people for a few days. Preparing for finals is very stressful, especially if you have more than one. You are trying to balance out which class you should study first, when you should sleep and eat, take breaks and see your friends. It is a lot to handle! You are burned out, tired, sensitive and irritated, so to regain the energy you have lost, try being by yourself for a few days. Have some alone time, watch your favorite Netflix shows and eat good food. I know that once you are on break, you will want to see your hometown friends that you have not seen in a long time, but to be your best self, you need to regain your energy because socializing is also a lot of work. 

1. Sleep as much as you can. 

Pulling all-nighters or staying up until 3 am is not for the weak. It takes a lot of willpower and energy to stay awake for that long, especially if you do it multiple times a week. So, once you get home to your beautiful bed, sleep as much as you want! Do not let anyone disturb your beauty rest because you need to make up for all of the hours you have lost, and as a college student, I can tell you that it is a lot of hours to make up for. 

1. Hang out with your friends.

After regaining your energy, see the friends you have not seen in a long time! Winter break is the time to catch up, get some boba, and spill all of the juicy tea that happened while you guys were away in college. Even though college is fun, it is always nice to reconnect with a familiar face from high school, so go out there and make plans with your friends! Who knows, you might learn something new that will leave your jaw dropped. 

1. Go shopping.

What is one of the best way to relieve stress? Yes, that is right, retail therapy. For all of the hard work that you have done, you deserve to treat yourself because I find that spending money can be the best way to reward yourself. Will it hurt our bank accounts? Yes. However, you might end up with some awesome shoes you have wanted since they came out, so it’s all about pros and cons. Being a college student is basically a full-time job, so it’s okay to consider spending a little money.

I know how mentally and physically draining studying for finals can be, so it is important to know what to do to take care of yourself once it is over. Although it is hard, focus on the beautiful three weeks of break we get after finishing finals! Hopefully these tips can help you unwind after that time:) 

Vy Tran

Northeastern '26

Vy Tran is a Northeastern Student majoring majoring in Business Administration and Communications with a Public Relations minor. She is the marketing and publicity assistant at HC. Her favorite things are listening to music, trying out new things, and playing tennis.