neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Social Media Killed Chivalry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Tinder, Snapchat, OkCupid, Match.com: these are the ways of romancing a girl in today’s society. Forget actually meeting someone in person and finding similar interests with face to face communication when the direction of a swipe can determine that for you. I am not going to lie; I of course use social media and realize the convenience of it all, but how far should we go in letting the internet dictate our lives? It’s understandable to want to reach out into cyberspace in search of a significant other when the real world hasn’t been working out for you, but in my personal opinion, we should probably give human interaction a chance first, right?

Courtesy of Pinterest

Now, I realize the chances of an epic love story in accord with The Notebook happening for every girl out there looking for love are slim to none, but that doesn’t mean that every girl doesn’t deserve her own kind of happily ever after. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I still believe that there are ways to woo a girl that don’t involve maintaining a Snap streak. A picnic, a day of exploring, a concert, a drive-in movie; these are just some of the ways that show thoughtfulness and that you actually care. Even the little things – like opening doors, making sure she gets home okay, buying her flowers for no reason – can make all the difference. And trust me, girls always notice.

Courtesy of Tumblr

All the blame cannot be placed on the guys, of course. In a way, girls have become accustomed and see it as normal to start a relationship based on a drunk hookup rather than being asked out on a proper date. Interest is measured in whether he likes your Instagram posts rather than him calling you the next day. Yes, it is definitely less work for the guy, but that is because girls do not exactly expect or ask for any more than that. Social media has allowed girls to lower their expectations to the point of only being concerned of how they look on the Internet rather than actually being a decent human being in real life. The blame game can always go both ways.

Courtesy of Giphy

I understand that not every girl is into the whole romance thing, and the hookup culture may be ideal for some. To each her own. However, for those girls who are waiting for their own fairytale moment, the prospects seem pretty bleak. You do not need to be a damsel in distress to get your prince charming, but it may take a bit more time for him to find his way to you. Google Maps has not created a soulmate finder just yet. In the meantime, keep your heads up ladies and enjoy yourself! Whether you are single, in a relationship, or just having fun, the time will come when the right guy will appear and LITERALLY sweep you off your feet, not just swipe right across the screen.

Laura Moya

Northeastern

Senior Communications and Media and Screen Studies major with a minor in Business Administration at Northeastern University. From Miami, Florida. Avid coffee drinker, TV junkie, travel lover. President and Campus Correspondent at HCNU.
Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.