How to Have a Successful Co-op Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! For us husky collegiettes, it’s time to start applying and interviewing for co-ops. Whether you’re going out on your first (like me!) or last, without a doubt the interview is the most nerve wracking part. But have no fear, with the right strategy and attitude you’ll walk out of that office more confident than ever that the job is yours.

Here are some tips to keep in mind before you head in:

Before the interview:

• Not to sound like your mother, but get a good night’s sleep the night before and make sure to eat a good, healthy breakfast that day!   
  • When scheduling the interview, don’t be afraid to ask questions like directions to the place, who you’ll be interviewing with and what you should bring with you.
  • Do your homework: research the exact job description that you’re applying for and get familiar with the company. Be prepared to answer questions like “why did you choose this company?” and other questions related to the specific company/job.
  • Have a strategy: Go over scenarios in your head of possible questions and think of examples that an interviewer may ask for in response to a question. For example, if     you’re asked if you work well in groups and you answer yes, the interviewer may ask for an example of a time you had to work in a group and how you handled the situation.

During the interview:

• Be confident, but not cocky: Act like you know what you’re talking about and that you’re confident in yourself and that you’ll be able to do the job, but don’t talk like you’re assuming you’ve already got it in the bag.
  • Make a good first impression: Make sure to greet the interviewer with a firm handshake (that says a lot!), make eye contact and ask them how they are.   
  • Don’t be afraid to pause before answering a question you’re unsure about: Instead of rambling out an answer and not really knowing what you’re talking about, it’s okay     to take a slight pause, go over the question in your head, and think of a good answer. Pausing will not make you look stupid, and the quick extra 10 seconds you take before answering may save you and help you respond more coherently.
  • It’s not what they can do for you, it’s what you can do for them: This company and the interviewer already know that they would be doing you an honor by hiring them. You don’t have to repeatedly tell them how badly you want to work for the company and how great it is, because they know that. Instead, focus on telling the interviewer what you’ll bring to the table and how you can help better the company with your great skills and personality.   
  • Answering the most dreaded     question in a not so dreadful way: “what is your biggest     weakness?” Uhh, what?! While this question may seem geared toward getting you to fess your biggest flaws, turn it around and put a positive spin on in. Answer it by pairing it with one of your strengths. For example, I’m incredibly organized and like to plan out everything. However, this may be a weakness because I need to learn to go with the flow and realize that I cannot control everything. Being organized is a good thing, but realizing that it can be a flaw and discussing how you can change it will make you look like your weaknesses aren’t really that weak at all.

After the interview:   

• Say thank you: To make an even better impression, send your interviewer a quick e-mail thanking him or her for their time and consideration     for the position. If you want to go a step further, send them a handwritten letter. In this day and age of constantly hiding behind     a computer screen and just being another name in an inbox, a hand-written letter will make you stick out. This small act of kindness will keep you in back of the interviewer’s mind and they definitely will remember your name and that you took the time to mail a thank you rather than e-mailing one like everyone else.

No matter what, remember to have confidence in yourself and know that if you want the job badly enough, you will do great. Take your time, answer questions adequately and before you know it you’ll be walking back to that office for your first day of training! Good luck fellow interviewees!

Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!