This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Although Boston has still yet to notice, spring is here, which means it’s time to pack away that trusty puffer jacket and Bean boots combo for something a little less Michelin Man. It’s likely been months since you’ve had to put together an outfit that shows off your legs or doesn’t include a thermal layer, and a lot has changed since then. Kylie Jenner had a baby! Someone bit Beyonce! And maybe your personal style has changed too, a dilemma that will make you throw open a full wardrobe and declare you have “nothing to wear.” Yippee! But you know what? The change in season is actually a great opportunity to ponder your personal style, lock it down, and build a killer spring wardrobe. This may sound like a daunting task, but it’s about to be made a lot easier with tips and tricks from some of the most fashionable ladies on-campus and around the world.

Pull inspiration from literally everywhere

Everyone loves falling into a good internet black hole and here’s your opportunity to label your scrolling as ‘productivity.’ Hop on Pinterest, Instagram, and fashion blogs (think Who What Wear, Man Repeller, and The Sartorialist), and start saving outfits or pieces that really speak to you. Note details like purses and shoes, and consider why you’re drawn to them. Then, cast your designer net a little further and look in some not-so-obvious places for inspiration. British fashion blogger Sophia Rosemary is a big ol’ drum-beating fan of this; according to a recent Cosmopolitan UK interview, the Insta-famous fashionista explained that her love of music and film influences her outfits:

“When I was younger I loved the Beatles, which is where I think the tomboy element crept into my style. Loving bands like The Strokes and Kings Of Leon made me obsessed with vintage denim, plus I’m massively inspired by the women of the ‘60s like Marianne Faithful and Jane Birkin. I studied French New Wave film at college so I was watching Jean Seberg and Catherine Deneuve, but I put my love of gingham shirts and cut-off jeans down to Dirty Dancing!”

Can you take style cues from Harry Styles’ tailored, print suits? Are you drawn to the Peter Pan collars and saddle shoes of a Wes Anderson flick? Chuck everything on your (IRL or digital) mood board!

Courtesy of Blogspot

Get tough with your wardrobe

Once you’ve got a clearer sense of how you want your personal style to make you feel, it’s time to put on your Marie Kondo hat and start curating your wardrobe like your Facebook friend list. Claire Dickerson, one of the most stylish gals on-campus, knows this story all too well and has become an expert at playing tough cop with her clothing collection.

“I had to ask myself, and answer truthfully, ‘Do I like this? Do I want to wear it? Do I feel good when I wear it?’ Then I went through and donated everything that didn’t meet those criteria. I find I’m so much happier with my wardrobe when it’s smaller but filled only with things I like.”

Shop smart

While you’re probably eager to fill the space in your wardrobe (or floordrobe, no judgement here) with new threads, it’s a stellar idea to really think about what you’re buying before you create trouble for your style, wallet, and the environment. Hot tip? Only hand over cash for an item you feel really good in and really want to wear, and focus your attention on thrift stores.

“I’m always a proponent of thrift stores,” Claire said. “One of my favorite shirts is a super touristy Guatemala graphic t-shirt I got at a thrift store for $5. I also try to only pick out pieces I can see myself liking for multiple years. It’s always tempting to go to somewhere cheap and buy something trendy, but fast fashion isn’t sustainable environmentally nor financially.”

Don’t be a slave to trends

Lastly, never ever forget that you’re a strong, independent woman with her own sense of style who doesn’t need to change to match the current fad! Of course, if you genuinely like something trendy, go for it, but don’t feel pressured to follow the herd. You even have Alexa Chung on your side; adored worldwide for her unique sense of style, the fashion icon confessed to Harper’s Bazaar that she “hates trends.”

“Trends happen when groups of people kick against what came before it and accidentally do so at the same time, so perhaps the next one will be cycling shorts and normal young person trainers or something. I have no idea, I just like to wear what I want.”

Courtesy of Conde Nast

Yazmine Lomax is an Irish-Australian writing student currently studying at Northeastern University in Boston. She loves reading, traveling, watching The Office, and petting every puppy possible