Have You Seen This Symbol on Facebook?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Post. Share. Tweet. Repeat.The routine of such practices has made social media a powerful outlet for spreading ideas. Pair that with an even more compelling movement for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram users to get behind, and the result is an explosive national campaign to transform society’s perceptions on accessibility.

During the week of the 2014 Paralympic Games, the Accessible Icon Project and the Institute for Human Centered Design has launched #MovingForward, a multi-platform social media campaign that is rapidly making its way to the home of the Huskies. The campaign encourages Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram users to move forward together and utilize their profiles, posts, and pictures to support not only the Icon’s message of ability and inclusive design but also the badass Paralympic athletes in Sochi who are showing the world that nothing is impossible.

You may have already seen some of your Facebook friends change their profile picture and cover photo, so what exactly is the Accessible Icon?

The Accessible Icon Project began as a street art campaign and has since become a larger social effort led by non-profit organization Triangle to transform the current International Symbol of Access into a new image that better reflects an active, more engaged member of the community.

Throughout the week, you can transform your social media presence in support of the Icon and its mission by partaking in any or all of the following actions:

• Changing your Facebook profile picture and cover photo to the Icon

• Tweeting at 5-10 of your favorite celebrities on how they can join the Accessible Icon and the IHCD to keep people #MovingForward

• Instagramming a photo of the Icon in a place where you would like to see the Accessible Icon leave its mark (i.e. in front of Marino Center, Curry Student Center, Matthews Arena)

• Sharing your efforts with family and friends so that they can join you in #MovingForward

How ‘bout it Huskies- will you join us in #MovingForward?

For more information, check out their campaign website.

Kimberly Izar

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!