A Girl, Some Ice Cream, and a Mission

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

This article was originally going to be about chocolate fudge brownie ice cream. I am so in love with this flavor that I wish I could marry it, but I don’t know if society is ready for that yet.  Honestly, I don’t even know what other ice cream flavors taste like anymore because I only ever order this flavor when I go out. Maybe this is a problem. What if there is more to life? What if there is another flavor of ice cream that is as good or (dare I say) better than chocolate fudge brownie? I decided to open my heart, my stomach, and my wallet to go on a mission to find the most wild flavors of ice cream that Boston has to offer.

My first stop was at a place called Emack and Bolios. There, I ordered the ever so trippy flavor “Space Cake” in a waffle cone coated in marshmallow rice krispies ($7.76). According to their website, this flavor is made of “cake batter ice cream with shortbread cookie pieces and chunks of red velvet cake.” Let me tell you, THIS FLAVOR WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD.  The best part about it was its ratio of cake/shortbread to ice cream. I absolutely hate it when I’m eating Ben and Jerry’s chocolate fudge brownie ice cream and I have to scour the entire pint just to find one measly chunk of brownie. With space cake though, I had a chunk of cake or shortbread with every bite. On top that, the taste and texture of the marshmallow rice krispie cone complimented the ice cream flavor so well. This was definitely one of the most decadent flavours in the galaxy. (Rate: 8/10)

Courtesy of Janaia Skibitcky

My next stop was at a place called FOMU which serves vegan ice cream. I ordered the almond butter and jelly sandwich flavour which is made of “almond milk ice cream with strawberry jelly and studded with chunks of house made vanilla cake” ($4.87 for a mini cup). By far, this was the most wild flavor I tried. The best part about this flavour was the bits of vanilla cake which had the consistency of cookie dough. However, the jelly definitely threw me for a loop. It was nice and plump, but it didn’t necessarily compliment the cool and icy texture of the ice cream. I would rather eat it in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The more I ate the ice cream, the more I liked it, but I’m not sure if I would get it again.  (Rate: 6.5/10)  

Courtesy of Janaia Skibitcky

My third and final stop was at a place called JP Licks. I ordered the cookies n’ cake batter flavor which is made from vanilla bean ice cream with chunks of yellow cake and cookies and cream mixed in ($3.96 for a kiddie cup). This was the flavor that made me believe that their could actually be more to life than just chocolate and brownies. I would also like to add that cake and cookies is truly one of the most iconic duos. This flavour was the definition of thicc with two c’s, and as creamy as pudding. My only wish was that it had a stronger cookie to ice cream ratio. Other than that, I miss this flavour the most.  (Rate: 9/10)

Courtesy of Janaia Skibitcky

From this experience, I learned two important lessons. First, Boston has expensive ice cream, and second, you will get a cramp if you take a walk after eating all this ice cream. It was definitely worth it, however. Nine times out of ten, I’m still going to order the chocolate fudge brownie ice cream, because you don’t just give up on the ice cream you love. However, I’m no longer afraid to try something new. Who knows, maybe next time I’ll go crazy and order some vanilla ice cream for a change. The possibilities are endless.

Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.