Get Involved on Campus, Today!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you’ve been following my articles over the past few weeks, I’m sure that you have begun taking steps to become more environmentally conscious. While greening your personal routine is important for the environment, it is also important to get involved in your community!
Below is a list of events that you can attend at Northeastern, to interact with your fellow classmates while also helping the environment.

1. Audrey’s Pet Supply and Services, Saturday, April 14 from 9:00am?7:00pm – 296 Newbury Street
Audrey’s Pet Supply and Services will be hosting a launch party, focusing on informing pet owners on ways to “go green” with their pets. It’s an all day event, and there will be samples, handouts, and maybe even a raffle!

2. “The Last Mountain”
, Tuesday, April 17 at 6:00pm – 110 West Village H
In celebration of Earth Day, West Village G/H will be screening “The Last Mountain,” a documentary about a small, passionate group of citizens trying to stop Big Coal corporations from continuing the devastating practice of Mountain Top Removal. There will be snacks, and all are welcome to attend!

3. “The Garden” – Plot M-18
Northeastern University has a community garden plot in the nearby Victory Fenway Gardens. Husky Environmental Action Team (HEAT) helps maintain the plot, along with other student groups, to get a hands-on experience of urban gardening. Be careful though, 30 minutes at The Garden and you’ll forget that you’re even in downtown Boston! Stop by to check out The Garden (plot M-18) or email nuheat@gmail.com if you would like to receive updates and help out in the Garden on group work days or on your own!
Map and directions to the garden

4. Green Team
Do you like the Red Sox? Do you like to recycle? Then the Green Team is right for you. Email  nugreenteam@gmail.com to be added to the list and start volunteering at Fenway Park!

5. Let’s Talk About Food Lecture SeriesMuseum of Science, Boston MAClick here to see available lectures

6. The Photo League
Interested in photography, the environment, or volunteering? Visit ThePhotographyLeague.com and respond to this week’s prompt.

Every Monday a new “prompt” will be posted on the homepage. A prompt can be anything from a quote to a YouTube video to a short story. The goal is to respond to the prompt by taking a photograph inspired by it.

Below each prompt will be details for an upcoming, environment-related volunteer opportunity or event in Boston. The prompts are meant to be provocative and controversial to encourage people who feel exceptionally strongly about them to go out and learn more or take action!

Photo
http://buquad.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/22745_827369682370_934964_47258792_6121707_n.jpg.

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.