Get a Handle on the Top Twitter Handles You Should be Following!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Whether you’re looking for the latest news on Northeastern, daily deals on food and entertainment in Boston, or just need another way to procrastinate working on that term paper, here’s a list of the top 20 Twitter accounts every Northeastern collegiette™ should follow.

1.) @HerCampusNU Follow the Northeastern branch of Her Campus Magazine for all of the latest career, love, beauty and style trends on campus.

2.) @NUStudentLife Get event info and updates from the Office of Student Affairs.

3.) @StudyAbroadOISP Thinking of studying abroad or participating in a dialogue of civilizations program? Follow the Office of International Study Programs at Northeastern to explore your options for studying abroad at NU.

4.) @ClubSnell Whether this makes you laugh or want to curl up on the fourth floor of the library and cry into your econ book, just follow it.

5.) @NewsfromNU For the most up-to-the-minute news blurbs regarding all things Northeastern.

6.) @BostonGlobe Want to be informed of what’s going on around you? Follow the Boston Globe, Boston’s leading news publication.

7.) @Universalhub A must-follow for Boston news junkies. Universal Hub tweets ongoing news as it’s happening around the city, often with some snarky commentary.

8.) @MetroBOS Yes, that free newspaper they hand out every day  on the MBTA also has a Twitter.

9.) @mbtaGM The MBTA sucks and we all know it. The next time you’re stuck between Government Center and Park Street for close to an hour and losing your will to live, send Richard Davey a tweet letting him know how you feel.

10.) @BostonTweet This guy spends an inordinate amount of time tweeting about burritos and beer, but once in a while he’ll let you know if something cool is going on around the city.

11.) @CollegeTownLife Get ready for an addiction greater than Texts From Last Night. CTL is the quintessential accounts of all things college.

12.) @HuffPostCollege Follow Huffington Post’s section geared toward higher-education headlines.

13.) @Makeup_Sex Documenting the tumultuous relationships of college kids everywhere and dissecting the peculiar behaviors of all twenty-somethings, all while making you fervently nod your head in agreement.

14.) @savvystudent Come to the savvystudent for help with financial aid and money matters.

15.) @StephenAtHome The official Twitter account of one of our favorite pundits, Stephen Colbert.

15.) @ICHCheezburger No one can understand the compulsion to watch these grammatically incorrect cats abuse the English language, but we do it anyway.

16.) @BarackObama Love him? Hate him? Can’t make up your mind about him? No matter what your opinion, the fact that Obama was the first U.S. president to fully embrace the digital age and utilize social media deserves some credit.

17.) @TheEllenShow Refer to Ellen DeGeners’ official Twitter account to infuse your day with some hilarity.

18.) @SarahPalinUSA Because you’ll witness her spew misinformed information and generally baseless facts to an innocent public firsthand instead if hearing it on MSNBC later.

19.) @NickKristof Kristof is a New York Times columnist who highlights global issues and areas that have fallen off the map and out of the world’s collective consciousness.

20.) @LadyGaga Enough said.

Lauryn is a senior at Northeastern University majoring in journalism. She has written for Boston.com as well as the HC branch at Northeastern. Lauryn is also a teaching assistant for International Affairs students at Northeastern. In May and June of 2011, she embarked on a reporting trip to the Middle East, where she mastered the art of "man on the street" reporting and gained a new appreciation for falafel. In her spare time, Lauryn enjoys writing, walking around Boston aimlessly, traveling and a unhealthy obsession with her Kindle. She loves eating, French bulldogs and Anderson Cooper. After graduation, she hopes to pursue a career in foreign correspondence or magazine journalism. You can follow her on Twitter @laurynpaiva.