Food Review Series: Boston Café Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

This past week I decided to take a walk down to five different cafés in Boston. Below is a list of fun cafés that you have to try!

1. Pavement Coffeehouse

Many of you probably have heard of Pavement, and let me tell you they have the best bagels you’ll find in Boston! Pavement has an assortment of bagels, pastries, coffee and matcha. The bagels are average size and they have a good range of flavors as well! I recommend bringing your laptop with you or a book and eating inside the store to enjoy the full ambiance. I also recommend ordering the classic sunrise bacon, egg, and cheese and the Spanish latte (which is absolutely amazing).

2. Blackbird Doughnuts 

It was a nice and sunny day out so my roommate and I decided to take a stroll to Blackbird Doughnuts. I’ve seen this place featured on TikTok before and I decided to try it for myself. The inside is a donut counter and they also sell a large variety of sandwiches. I decided to order a classic strawberry frosted doughnut and a Boston Cream — ironically, I’ve never tried a Boston creme in Boston. The doughnuts were freshly baked and delicious. The strawberry frosted was my favorite. I will definitely return and get a dozen for myself and some friends!

3nxEe2Y6wbxSoXZVxmB6wi4 QHox JhkU0WSYiK8nBbbPH22RvDuFMPk8iDigo5cUAGb47Rt4krpBzIv4Lm1Tuy5PYcSyE4b7esAzZkFbt2c3zEv6TX7mAQTi Cl0DfOlKRPGm4r

Pictured above: Strawberry frosted doughnut!

KvighTzZWMXQkZdJMohEQH K1yLl5OowPTRCEsdaQF0rk BFxmMsHPC8 A8nxEjM1zFFBG3uWpotRdZKWuJRCPd3wLbo hG8Gn6pDiEN0Ipmi9ChtbQzC8o8yuKYeXkfgzG8OogW

Pictured above: Iced Jasmine Tea

3. Flour Bakery and Cafe

When you first walk into this café, you can smell the fresh baked goods, which is a definite “yes” from me! I tried this place for the first time this week and got a couple items to try. The menu was a decent size and they had a good amount of healthy items, and everything is made to order from the kitchen. I started with an iced vanilla coffee with almond milk and the almond milk they offer is made in house! I also got the famous sticky bun and it was so decadent! I would recommend getting this heated up as well. Lastly, I tried the avocado toast with a poached egg and it was also very good. I recommend grabbing a quick pastry and coffee from here or enjoying a fast and healthy lunch with some friends. If you go to the Clarendon Street Flour there are tables lined up outside. Overall, I would definitely go back to this café to try more of the options they have.

4. The Bittersweet Shoppe on Newbury

I saw this place tucked away on Newbury Street and decided to try it out! My first impression was that the outdoor seating was packed because they don’t have  indoor seating. The menu has a unique selection of fun coffee drinks such as white chocolate raspberry swirl, cookies and cream, and almond joy! I love how this place has different flavors of coffee that I hadn’t seen before. If you’re not a coffee drinker, they have a wide range of teas and they even have old-fashioned floats! They have a separate menu for breakfast, lunch, and the baked goods they offer as well. I tried the french toast sticks which were delicious especially when I paired them with a coconut mocha latte.

5. Café Landwer

This café just opened in January of this year, so a friend and I decided to try it out! This is far greater than a regular café! The ambiance is very modern and cute pictures can be taken in front of the light up signs on display. Café Landwer is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and offers a wide variety of dishes. These range from classic breakfast plates, to hummus bowls, to salads, to pasta dishes. I came here at breakfastime so I ordered the classic Landwer pancakes, which were some of the fluffiest pancakes I’ve ever had. I would definitely recommend it, and I plan on coming back for dinner soon.

bFmaCqz9CezHbcMz pbyfPVBHrB6An1mqY1bQPrTlJCDFn4v9pMP90hejtuiYsGOhsZvTga4Ec4CA18ZaJgXR4OE Sg465kc79fBJSTSlaxyn

Pictured above: Inside the cafe

WDLv7FRJzA9u5Ks 8DsXwwm9zWrKzkC40Rjt76l6aZesH4p4OvxshgqFbLD9ocaRb8kzfvnTJd8H

Pictured above: The Landwer Pancakes

Rose Baler

Northeastern '25

Rose Baler is a third year Business Administration and Communication Studies major with a Marketing concentration. Rose is a events coordinator specializing in finance and administration for Her Campus since January 2023.