This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

This past week at Northeastern University was Food Justice Week, brought to you by Slow Foods NU. The week held events such as speakers, trips, and activities all focused on educating you about where your food really comes from to help you develop smarter eating habits. Slow Foods NU is a club on campus that strives to educate about the interconnectivity of the food world. Although I had seen a few things about it around campus I still wasn’t quite sure what it was… until I went to one of the speakers.

Daniel Fireside, a representative from Equal Exchange was one of the speakers. Equal exchange is a business focused on reemphasizing the importance of the small farmer by giving them as much power and profits in the production of their produce as possible. They cut out the middleman so that the small farmer receives more. That’s when I realized that I rarely know where my food is coming from.

Maybe a lot of it is my own lack of research but I attribute a lot of it to the food industry. It’s hard to find out where you get your food, to know who’s being exploited or what’s made naturally. Also, because there’s a huge craze around organic/local food, many companies will put a false label just to jump on the bandwagon and satisfy consumers. The biggest issue, though, is that we have to eat. We’re human, so it’s virtually impossible to cut out all “corrupt” food out of our diet. Most of us can’t sustain off of 100% organic food, nor can we afford it. Most of us can’t know exactly where all our food is coming from. And most of us don’t have time to analyze everything we put into our mouths. That’s the honest truth.

So if it’s so hard, why bother? I’m not saying you need to fly to Guatemala and hand pick your own fruit, and I’m certainly not trying to lecture – because I’m the worst culprit of them all. However, Food Justice Week got me thinking that eating right isn’t about being perfect, but its about at least trying. It’s about doing little things to support the cause. Not only will this benefit the small farmer, but also it will benefit your health. I’ve listed a few small changes you can make that won’t break the bank and won’t be an inconvenience but will still make a big difference. It may seem daunting but really anyone can do it!

1.     Trade Starbucks for Equal Exchange: I love my Starbucks as much as the next girl, but it won’t hurt if once and awhile you head to the Equal Exchange café. You can still enjoy your Starbucks but it’ll be a worthwhile T-trip to support this company and enjoy the high quality coffee.

2.     Look for the Fair Trade Label: When grocery shopping look for coffee, produce, coffee and tea with a “Fair Trade” label.

3.     Try Local: Try locally grown foods instead of big brands. Also try checking out local Farmers Markets when in season, they are a great way to get locally grown food and tons of fun.

4.     Try Organic: Now-a-days you don’t have to go out of the way to find organic foods. It won’t hurt every now and again to check it out.

5.     Try Meatless Mondays: I’m not saying to become a vegetarian all together (I totally understand your love of bacon), but if you give up meat just one day a week it makes such a difference.

Stephanie Cohn

Northeastern

Stephanie is a Sophomore Journalism major at Northeastern University and has been with her campus for about a year now. She spent her first semester abroad in Costa Rica where she discovered her passion for writing through weekly blog assignments. Stephanie is now in the process of pursuing a minor in Latin American studies and hopes that someday to cover the region. Currently she is the Hub Health intern for Boston Magazine and the promotions chair for Hercampus Northeastern. Outside of HerCampus she enjoys healthy baking, yoga, creative writing, and spending time with her Sigma Kappa sorority sisters. 
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!