This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In the last few years, there has been a major demographic shift in the entertainment industry, particularly with Parasite, a Korean movie, winning Best Motion Picture at the Oscars and BTS, the famous Korean boy band, taking the world by storm. The global popularity of South Korean culture and the Korean Wave has spread through the United States quickly, transcending all language barriers.  Over quarantine, I found myself having some extra time on my hands, and, as someone who has a deep love for TV shows,  I decided to dive into South Korean culture by watching my first Korean Drama. K-Dramas usually consist of seasons with sixteen episodes, each about an hour long. K-Dramas are not only extremely interesting, but they also give you the ability to learn about a new culture. To get you started, here is a list of my top five Korean Dramas:

Crash Landing On You

For many people, Crash Landing on You was their entrance into the K-Drama world. I am no different! It tells the story of a South Korean woman, Yoon Se-ri, who is an heiress to a conglomerate in South Korea. One day, while paragliding, a tornado causes strong winds to form and leads Se-Ri to accidentally cross the 38th parallel and land in North Korea. There she meets Captain Ri Jeong-Hyeok, a North Koren soldier, who risks his life to try to protect her. Soon, they fall in love. This drama has action, romance, comedy, friendship, drama, and touches on political issues, not just between North Korea and South Korea, but also within militaries around the world. Personally, my favorite part of this drama is the four soldiers under Captain Ri’s command, and I highly suggest looking out for them if you decide to watch!

Where to Watch: Netflix, Viki

Goblin

Kim Shin, the main character of this drama, is almost 1000 years old. He is an immortal goblin who, in the Goryeo-era, was betrayed by his king. The only way Shin can pass on into the afterlife is if the prophesied goblin’s bride removes the sword that has long been embedded in his chest. Soon, Kin Shin runs into Ji Eun-tak who is a cheerful high school student with a supernatural ability to see ghosts. This show is arguably one of the most popular K-Dramas of all time and falls under the fantasy genre. While watching this show, two things you should watch out for are the friendship between Kim Shin and his grim reaper roommate, Wang Yeo, and the Goblin soundtrack, which won many awards. 

Where to watch: Viki

Start-up

This show is new and is currently streaming on Netflix right now. For anyone who dreams to start a business, this one’s for you! Start-up tells the story of a group of young people passionately pursuing their dreams. It centers around a character named Seo Dal-Mi, played by Bae Suzy, and Nam Do-San, played by Nam Joo-Hyuk. Do-San, is a mathematician and founder of Samsan Tech. Him and his two co-founders started Samsan Tech two years ago as a way to bring AI into the modern world, however, the company is not doing well. Along the way, Do-San meets Dal-Mi, in a twisted encounter where they fall in love and work together to take Samsung Tech to a new level. If you want to laugh, I highly recommend watching this one!

Where to watch: Netflix (currently airing)

Descendants of the Sun

This is my personal favorite K-Drama of all time! It is a must watch, and I am not being biased. This show was a major hit in South Korea and the United States, and won multiple grand prizes. It is a love story, intertwined with action and friendship, and comedy. It also weaves themes of personal values versus money, and the need to do “what is right” into the overarching plot of the show. It tells the story of Yoo Si-jin, the captain of a South Korean Special Forces Unit in the Korean Army, and Dr.Kang Mo-Yeon, a doctor working in Seoul. They initially meet in a hospital, as Si-jin is trying to catch an injured thief who stole a cell phone. They are instantly attracted to one another and begin to date. However, Si-Jin, whose job is extremely dangerous, is required to go on classified missions on a daily basis, and as a result, their relationship breaks. Ultimately, their lives are brought back together in a twisted turn of events, and you will have to watch the show to see what happens from there!

Where to watch: Viki

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo

Weightlifting Fairy is a college romance, coming-of-age sports drama that touches on themes like body positivity, self-esteem, and navigation through one’s youth. This drama centers around Kim Bok Joo, a young woman chasing her dream of becoming a world-class weightlifting athlete who accidentally develops a crush on her friend’s older and tends to hide her insecurities through a strong exterior. Jung Joon-hyung, a talented swimmer, who also suffers a trauma that hinders his ability to compete on a national level. 

Where to watch: Viki

Ambika Aggarwal

Northeastern '24

Ambika is a second year international business and psychology major at Northeastern University. In her free time, Ambika loves to hike, take photographs, and play the guitar. Her goal is climb Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Everest. She is passionate about climate change and helping communities escape poverty and is currently working on making tourism ships crossing the Arctic meat free and environmentally friendly.
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.