This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Forget Cinderella’s glass slipper, the feminine sneaker is the shining star of modern style. The time has finally come for women to be able to embrace a sector of the fashion industry dominated by men: practical shoes. Until recently, women have been confined to high heels and flats, shoes which may look good, but have all the discomfort and impracticality no one ever needed. In the past few years, we have seen a rise in sneakers made and marketed for women. This style of sneaker is not strictly athletic, they are geared toward everyday use and are sometimes the center focus of an outfit.

Adidas Superstars ($80)

Courtesy of Adidas

Superstars are now a staple in many women’s wardrobes. While this style also comes in men’s sizes, it comes in colors typically marketed toward women. They are incredibly comfortable and can be worn with practically any outfit.  

Veja ($120)

Courtesy of Madewell

Veja is a brand on the rise. It is based in Brazil and uses fair trade methods to create fashionable sneakers. The pair shown above is a collaboration between Veja and Madewell (they have also collaborated with Anthropologie). I recently bought this pair and have zero regrets. The stars add a bit of glitz to your outfit. Who doesn’t need a little sparkle in their lives?  

Puma Satin Platform Sneakers ($110)

Courtesy of Puma

Puma is another popular brand that has upped their sneaker game. These platform suede and satin sneakers are a perfect example; they add a pop of of color in the footwear department and remain stylish.

Vans Slip Ons ($70)

Courtesy of Vans

Slip on sneakers are no exception to this fashion revolution. Ultra cushy and easy to grab and go, slip ons are incredibly easy to wear. Vans created their slip ons in many styles, including vibrant colors, metallics, and platform soles.

Olivia is a writer from the Northeastern University chapter of HerCampus. She is from San Francisco, California and loves her hometown with a passion. When she isn't working she enjoys taking SoulCycle classes, exploring Boston, and spending time with her friends.