kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Gracefully Into Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

September is a transition month for us all and while adjusting your summer wardrobe for fall can seem tricky at times, it is easier than you think. Follow these do’s and you’ll be in the clear when those leaves start falling.

Use summer clothes to your advantage 
Continue to use your summer clothes despite the temperature change! Mix a sundress with a light pair of tights or add sandals to a sweater and leggings. This way you’ll get maximum use of your warm-weather wardrobe.

Layer
This one might seem obvious, but layering is crucial for a fall wardrobe. With unpredictable weather, layering is necessary to keep warm or cool during those crazy days. Key layering items include: comfy wrap sweaters, blazers and leg warmers.

Befriend a scarf…or two or three
I cannot stress this point enough. The chunkier, the better.

Experiment with new colors
Deep reds, burnt oranges, warm browns and neutral greys are all big colors for fall.

Break out those boots
You can’t go wrong with boots. Try a pair of tall brown riding boots or go for colored ankle booties.

Take advantage of outfit contrast
Play around with unconventional outfit pairings. Mix an oversized sweater with short shorts or add a wool scarf to a maxi.

Try funky patterns and fabrics
Look at current trends to spice up your outfits. Leather accents and printed pants are two standouts this fall.

Fall is a perfect time to experiment with your ensemble, so don’t be afraid to take risks. The weather is unpredictable, so why let your wardrobe stay the same?

Northeastern Journalism student
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!