Ed Sheeran’s ‘÷’ Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Ed Sheeran has once again blessed us with new music! After what felt like an eternity of Ed’s absence from the world (his last album ‘x’ (prounounced “multiply”) was released in June 2014 and he pretty much dropped off the face of the planet from December 2015 – December 2016), he has finally released his new album and it was definitely worth the wait. The new album, being the third in his series of mathematical computation symbols and inherently titled ‘÷’ (pronounced “divide”), is his most diverse, eclectic, and all around fantastic album thus far. Earlier this year, Ed released the singles “Shape of You,” “Castle on the Hill,” and “How Would You Feel (Paean),” giving us a glimpse of what was in store for the album’s big release. From upbeat dance songs, to classic love ballads, and sad heartbreak songs that will make you bawl, this album has a little bit of everything for everyone. Here’s a brief synopsis of each song on the  ‘÷’ Deluxe album which provides a full hour of pure musical bliss!

Courtesy: Cosmopolitan

1. “Eraser” – “Eraser” is a take on the not so glamorous life of fame, while showcasing two of Ed Sheeran’s many talents: rap and freestyle. Not many would expect a British ginger bloke to be able to rap the way he does, but after Ed’s song “Take It Back” from his last album, we now know he very well can (and his live concert freestyles are UNREAL).

2. “Castle on the Hill” – Ed paints the perfect picture of the English countryside and his life growing up there. It’s a shoutout to any small towner who eventually moves on to the big city, but will always have those roots and memories back home.

3. “Dive” – This is the epitome of that chill song that everyone needs, and at the same time the perfect song to sing at karaoke with those strong notes. “Dive” is a warning to all lovers who like to play games with people’s feelings and mess with their heads (you know who you are).

4. “Shape of You” – Hands down, this has got to be everyone’s new favorite jam. The beats, the lyrics, the dance moves. Whether you’re in the club or in your car, we are all like bff Taylor Swift when this song comes on.                                                                                                                     Courtesy: Giphy

5. “Perfect” – With Ed himself claiming that he needed to beat his previous wedding song ballad “Thinking Out Loud,” this new love song will surely be played at weddings across the globe for years to come. If you’re lucky enough to be getting hitched soon, you can claim the song as your own before everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

6. “Galway Girl” – This fun and upbeat homage to Ireland will have you river dancing your way across the pond. With the opening line to the song and chorus being “she played the fiddle in an Irish band, but she fell in love with an Englishman,” you will be left daydreaming of your own Irish love story (with leprechauns and gingers galore!)

7. “Happier” – For anyone who has to watch their ex be with someone else, this one’s for you. This heartbreak song perfectly encapsulates wanting to be happy for someone else when you haven’t quite gotten there yourself. Ed obviously knows how you feel.

8. “New Man” – On the other hand of heartbreak, instead of wanting that ex to be happy you can just diss their new significant other, which is exactly what Ed accomplishes in this song. With a more upbeat tempo, this song is exactly what you need when you know you’re better off without them.                                                                                                                     Courtesy: Giphy

9. “Hearts Don’t Break Around Here” – With more of a softer tone, this song is perfect for some cuddling and soul searching with your significant other. Only Ed Sheeran can express love with equal parts melancholy and beauty in just one song that sounds like poetry.

10. “What Do I Know?” – The power of music. Ed certainly knows how to wield that power and he’s singing about just that in this upbeat, feel good song to change the world for the better. As Ed simply puts it, “love can change the world in a moment, but what do I know?”

11. “How Would You Feel (Paean)” – If you think back to Ed’s “One” and “Photograph” from his previous album, then you are on the right track for this new confession of love. Oozing of classic Ed Sheeran romance, this song will surely make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

12. “Supermarket Flowers” – Clearly the saddest song of them all, the track is a tribute to Ed’s presumably late mother based on the tragic lyrics. Describing his mother as an angel sent from above, Ed describes just part of the grief in dealing with the death of a loved one.

13. “Barcelona” – If this song doesn’t make you want to go to Barcelona right now, then I honestly do not know what will. It’s fun, upbeat, adventurous, and there’s sangria and dancing in the streets! The song is practically the embodiment of the red dress flamenco dancer emoji. But most importantly, can we talk about Ed Sheeran singing in SPANISH!!! The talent of this man seriously has no end.

14. “Bibia Be Ye Ye” – Channeling the sounds of the Caribbean and tropics, this song will make you feel as good as if you are lounging on the beach with drink in hand. It may also inspire you to dance as they do on the islands with its upbeat tempo and catchy chorus.

15. “Nancy Mulligan” – This is definitely an Irish pub song if I ever heard one. With a very folksy tune and wholesome love story, the song celebrates the union of one Nancy Mulligan and William Sheeran (the love story of his grandparents) and their happy life together. Cue the “AWWW’S” and the tears.

16. “Save Myself” – Putting others before yourself is always admirable, but there is always a cost. With more of a sad Coldplay type vibe, this song is for those who need to save themselves before they give away every last piece of themselves to others.

As the Brits would say (in a British accent of course), this album is just absolutely brilliant! It’s great to have you back, Ed Sheeran!

Laura Moya

Northeastern

Senior Communications and Media and Screen Studies major with a minor in Business Administration at Northeastern University. From Miami, Florida. Avid coffee drinker, TV junkie, travel lover. President and Campus Correspondent at HCNU.